Chronic Muscle Pain - Pain Center of Western Washington

Frequently Asked Questions
“Chronic Muscle Pain”
Q. I have chronic muscle pain… what can I do to treat this?
A. Chronic muscle pain is also known as Myofascial Pain Syndrom. It can occur in a
single muscle, or multiple areas of the body. It occurs when a muscle is strained or
injured, and can become chronic if scar tissue forms, or the muscle developes
persistant spasms. ‘Knots’ of muscle fibers can develop, called trigger points,
which are tender to the touch, and can often be felt under the skin. Treatment
should involve physical therapy, massage therapy, relaxation training, and often
injections will help. These trigger points injections may contain saline solution,
local anesthetic, and/or cortisone, or a combination of these. They can be
performed in your doctors office, and may need to be repeated on several
occasions for any long-term effect.
Please see us for a consultation if you think this is affecting you.
David Velling M.D.
Pain Mgmt Specialist
The Pain Center of Western Washington
34509 9th Ave S., Suite 203B * Federal Way, WA * 98003
Ph: (253) 874-8774 * Fax: (253) 874-8775