SS7H2d. – Top of page 43 in white margin
• Explain the USA’s presence and interest in SW Asia; include the Persian
Gulf Conflict, and invasions of
Afghanistan and Iraq
Page 43 on the lines
Copy the question and answer.
Who was involved?
• USA, Saudi
Pakistan, UAE, and a lot more countries.
• Aug. 2, 1990 – Iraq invaded
• Aug. 8, 1990 –Operation Desert
Shield: US troops moved into
• Jan. 15, 1991-War began
• Feb. 27, 1991- War ends
• Saddam Hussein and Iraq invaded
• Worried that Iraq would continue on to Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
• much of the world’s oil reserves.
• Allies met their goal of moving the Iraqis out of Kuwait in about 43 days.
• Saddam Hussein remained in power.
• Iraq set oil fields on fire.
• Iraq shot missiles at Israel.
• 200 American troops died.
• 100,000 Iraqi troops died.