KTAP Technical Eligibility Factors

Factors for
Rules That
Apply to
Each member must reside in Kentucky
A child is ineligible when away from the home or expected to
be away from the home in excess of 30 days. However, there
are exceptions for the following good cause reasons:
• For medical care
• To attend school (boarding school, college, vocational school,
• Emergency foster care- limited to 30 days for the child. The
parent may remain active on KTAP for up to 60 days. (MS
2338 C, 2 explains the work-around on this.)
• Visit family/friends- SR maintains parental control.
Note: A K-TAP parent or child in a Long Term Care facility
(LTC) may remain eligible for K-TAP for up to one year.
Citizenship &
Alien Requirements
Each member must be a U.S. citizen or
qualifying alien, in order to be included in
the KTAP grant.
Applicants and clients must present
proof of U.S. citizenship.
Aliens must verify their qualifying alien
Each member must furnish a Social
Security Number (SSN), or apply for
one, if one has not already been issued
Client’s Statement accepted for SSN
If not meeting this requirement, the nonenumerated individual is shown as an
ineligible member in the K-TAP case
Standard Filing Unit
All siblings and parents must be
included in the same KTAP case, if
technically eligible and living in the
same household.
There are exceptions to the rule!
This is covered in great detail
during basic training in the computer
Rules That
Apply to
Verification is required for age
Child must be:
Under 18 years old, or
18 years old, and in school fulltime
School Attendance
Any K-TAP child from 16 to 18 years old
must be in regular full time school
attendance, including home schooling
Verify by form PA 33D, and/or automated school
report completed quarterly by school
If not meeting this requirement, the child’s needs
are removed from the K-TAP grant
If there are no other children active on the K-TAP
case, the entire K-TAP case is ineligible- explore
eligibility for E or T Medicaid
Living with Specified
Child must be residing in the home of
someone who meets the definition of a
Specified Relative
This includes the natural or adoptive
If parents are not in the home, anyone that
is related, either by blood or marriage
If related by marriage, the relationship will
continue, even after the marriage has ended
(as long as it ended after the birth of the
K-TAP child)
Child must be deprived of parental support
due to the death, incapacity, unemployment,
or continued absence, either voluntary or
involuntary, of the natural or adoptive parent.
Deprivation is determined separately for
each child
Deprivations must be verified
If not meeting this requirement, the child is
not eligible
If there are no other children on the case,
the entire K-TAP case is ineligible
Rules That
Apply to
Eligible Child in the Home
In order for the adult to be eligible,
there must be a child in the home who
is technically eligible for K-TAP
• A child that receives SSI, State Supp.
or Foster Care, who would otherwise be
eligible for K-TAP, is considered an
eligible child
• If there is no child in the home, the
entire case is ineligible
Meet the Definition of
SR or SP
Adult must be related to the child,
either by blood or marriage
Adult must be either:
The natural or adoptive parent of the K-TAP
eligible child
If the parents are not in the home, another
relative who assumes responsibility for the
care of a child, without assuming financial
If no relation exists, the entire K-TAP case
is ineligible.
Division for
Child Support(DCS)
The SR is required to cooperate with
the Division for Child Support in all
phases of support activity
There are exceptions to these
requirements, if good cause is met
If an adult refuses/fails to cooperate,
the adult is disqualified from K-TAP
The 25% reduction is also applied to
the SNAP case.
Kentucky Works Program
& Work Registration
Adults must comply with KWP and
Work Registration requirements, unless
If QP refuses to cooperate, the entire
case is ineligible
If any other adult refuses to
cooperate, they are sanctioned, and
pro-rata reduction is applied to the
The assessment is completed to determine a workeligible individual’s current level of employment.
A work-eligible person is a member or in a K-TAP
case who is required to participate in KWP.
•An adult or minor parent who is coded as the SR
(M03) or SP (M04) and included in the grant.
•A parent who lives with the K-TAP child but
excluded due to a drug felony, probation/parole
violator, or being a fleeing felon.
•If the adult is exempt from KWP an assessment is
not necessary.
Third Party Liability (TPL)
Adult is required to assign rights to any
third party payments received to the
cabinet for any services that are
available under Medical Assistance
This includes such things as health
insurance, or an accident settlement
for medical expenses paid by Medicaid
If adult refuses/fails to comply with
TPL, they are disqualified from the
Rules That
Apply to
Adult Supervised
An unmarried teen parent
under age 18 must live with
someone who meets the
definition of SR, legal
guardian, or approved adult
supervised setting as
approved by P&P.
School Attendance
If under 18, teen parent must attend
school full time
If under 18 and graduated, they will
be required to participate in KWP
If teen parent is 18 or 19 years old,
they may choose to either go to school
or participate in another KWP activity
to meet work requirements
Division for Child Support
Teen parents are also required to
cooperate with DCS in all phases of
child support activity
There are exceptions to these requirements
if good cause is met
If teen parent refuses/fails to cooperate,
the teen parent is disqualified from K-TAP and
A 25% reduction is also applied to the
SNAP case