Canada & the US become close
● Ogdensburg Agreement (Aug. 18th 1940) created a tie between Canada & the US to protect NA ● Very informal Agreement between Roosevelt & Canadian Prime Minister ● Establishment of Permanent Joint Board on Defense.
Purpose of Ogdensburg Agreement
● Ensured Canada & US as allies ● More soldiers to fight when needed ● Development of committees and programs dedicated to the protection of NA ● sustainable alliance of NA
Hyde Park Declaration
● The Hyde Park Declaration occurred on April 20th 1941 ● A result of the Permanent Joint Board on Defense. ● Tied the US & Canada economically so they could buy and trade war goods amongst each other.
Hyde Park & Lend-Lease
● The Hyde Park Declaration stated that Canada would contribute the American products produced there as a part of the Lend-Lease Act with the Brits.
● This positively impacted the US economy.
● But...Canada was disobeying British orders.
US involvement & impact during WWII
● Overall, the Ogdensburg Agreement and Hyde Park Declaration: o Impacted US WWII involvement
because it: created a bond between the US & Canada Ensured security of the borders of NA and ensured security economically
Kos-Rabcewicz- Zubkowski, Dr. Ludwil J. "Canada and the Organization of American States ." Air University Review . http://www.au.af.mil/au/afri/aspj/airchronicles/aureview/1967/sep oct/kos.html
Woitkowitz, John. "Ogdensburg Agreement 1940." http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/mmh/arctic sovereignty/ogdensburg.cfm
History of Canada Online. "The Hyde Park Declaration." http://canadachannel.ca/HCO/index.php/The_Hyde_Park_Declaration.
"World War II." Accessed September 10, 2014. http://www.canadahistoryproject.ca/1939 45/index.html.