• Rent 2 Skittles
• Food 1 Skittle
• Utililties 1 Skittle
• Incidentals 2 Skittles
• Rent 40 Skittles
• Food 30 Skittles
• Utilities 30 Skittles
• Incidentals 20 Skittles
• Rent 4000 Skittles
• Food 4000 Skittles
• Utilities 4000 Skittles
• Incidentals 3000 Skittles
What is Inflation?
• The word `inflation' describes a situation in which prices are rising and the value of money is falling.
Hyperinflation in Weimar
• Late in 1922 Germany failed to pay an instalment of reparations on time.
• French troops occupied Germany's main industrial region, the Ruhr.
• They wanted to keep Germany weak.
– A weak Germany meant that France was safe from the threat of attack.
• Workers go on strike because they know it will just benefit the French
• All the workers on strike had to be given financial support.
– The government paid its way by printing more and more banknotes.
– Germany was soon awash with paper money.
– The result was hyperinflation.
Group Scenario Questions
• Work on the following questions in your group.
• You only need one piece of paper in the group.
THE GREAT DEPRESSION
• Huge debts resulting from the costs of World
• Widespread use of credit
• Overproduction of goods while demand was falling
• Rising wages for industrial workers while farm earnings were falling
• New York stock market crash ruins investors
• Banks demand repayment of loans
• Without capital, businesses and factories fail
• Vast unemployment and misery
• Loss of faith in democracy and capitalism
• Authoritarian leaders gain support
• Nazis take control of Germany
• Fascist leaders gain support in Eastern
• Governments experiment with social programs
• People blame scapegoats for economic woes
• World War II begins
Great Depression in the US
Great Depression Reading
Great Depression Questions
• Add your group’s answers to the following questions to the back of your Scenario.
– How did the Great Depression affect his childhood?
– How did it affect his community?
– What did they do for entertainment?
– How did his life change when the Depression ended?
– How does the depression continue to shape his life?