In Chapter 8, the United States will firmly establish itself as a major player in the worldboth in trade strength as well as military might.
We will also begin to deal with expanding our nation westward--with slavery becoming a hot topic.
• After the War of 1812, we were able to secure our northern borders with the
British through the Rush-Bagot
Agreement- which removed British
Naval vessels away from the U.S.
Convention of 1818- which set the border between the U.S. and Canada at the 49 th parallel.
We also gained Florida from the
Spanish through the Adams-Onis Treaty
• President James Monroe put out a warning to the European powers: do not attempt to conquer or colonize any new countries in the western hemisphere!
• The Monroe Doctrine established America as a world force
• During the Era of Good Feelings, nationalism, or pride and patriotism toward the U.S., was peaking. We worked to improve our nation’s economy and transportation through internal improvements known as the American
System national bank, tariffs, roads and canals
• What happens when a new state wants to enter the union? Is it a slave state or a free state? In 1820, the United States had a balance -11 free and 11 slave-congress was pretty much equal and bills did not favor
• Missouri faced this dilemma in 1820-Henry
Clay came up with a temporary solution-allow
Missouri to enter as slave, Maine as free, and draw a line prohibiting slavery from expanding north of it (36*, 30’).
• The Monroe Doctrine was a warning issued by President Monroe during his
1823 State of the Union Address. He stated that European nations need to stay out of the western hemisphere.
They should no longer attempt to colonize or conquer Latin nations who are newly independent and therefore vulnerable.
• The Era of Good Feelings (1815-1825) was a time of national pride and patriotism. Our manufacturing was becoming self-sufficient and our government was under one political party.
• Nationalism is a deep sense of pride, loyalty, and protection for one’s own country of origin
• Sectionalism is a deep sense of pride, loyalty, and protection for one’s own region or state.
• The American System was Henry Clay’s plan to further America’s development as a selfsufficient and stable nation. The plan included protective tariffs, a national bank, as well as improvements in transportation.
• The Missouri Compromise settled a conflict over slave and free states entering the union in 1820. The balance was maintained after
Henry Clay proposed Missouri enter as slave, and Maine enter as free. A line would then be drawn at 36*, 30’ where no new slave states would be permitted north of.
• The compromise would serve as a temporary solution while maintaining congressional balance in the senate.
• Prior to the 1820s, art and writing was mostly the pride of Europe. Americans finally started to appreciate our own national identity-taking pride in an America of talented artists and writers.