Writing a book review
Dalry Primary School
Why write a book review?
• It’s an easy way to let other people know if you enjoyed a book, or not, and why.
• You could help them to make a choice at the bookshop or in the library.
Important information to include:
• The title
This way, if someone wants to read the book, they know what to ask for at the library or the book shop.
• The author
This will also help people to search.
Also, if they enjoyed the book, they could look for more by this author.
Summarise the story
• Give a summary of the main parts of the story.
• Don’t give away any plot twists, or the ending.
• Make the book sound as exciting and interesting as possible!
Give your opinion
• Tell the reader whether you enjoyed the book or not.
• Remember to give a reason for your opinion!
• Be honest, don’t be afraid to say if you didn’t enjoy the book.
Check it over
Check your work for:
• Capital letters
• Finger spaces
• Full stops
Read your review to your partner. Does it make sense? What kind of improvements could you make?