How Did Enzo Die? Electricity – Current, Resistance & Electrical Safety Central Storyline: Just moved into house and had it rewired by company X Company X has Bob working for them who’s known for being a “bodge it”. Bob was seeing girlfriend behind Enzo’s back. Bob’s previous work had been found to be faulty in certain circumstances Enzo comes home from work. Puts on radio – loudly (battery powered) Girlfriend coming round for candlelit dinner. Girlfriend calls & distracts him whilst he’s filling the kettle. Poured water into the kettle but was a bit clumsy & it sprayed onto a plug socket. Gets an electric shock from kettle which knocks him to the ground. Grabs tablecloth from kitchen table, pulling lit candles onto the floor. Bangs head on the corner of table as he’s going down – knocked unconscious. Girlfriend rings bell – no answer. Girlfriend calls him from mobile phone – no answer. She then smells burning. She calls fire department. They arrive & put out fire, finding Enzo dead in kitchen. Facts 1. Before moving in, Enzo had the wiring in his flat checked and altered to make it safe by Buzzco. 2. The battery was missing from the smoke alarm in Enzo’s kitchen. 3. Susan says that 4. Enzo’s body was she called Enzo to badly charred and had apologise and that a fractured skull. Enzo was going to cook a meal for them. 5. The fire services 6. A broken window 7. Susan & Enzo had put out a large was found in the been seen arguing kitchen fire in the kitchen. with each other at flat. lunchtime that day. 9. An iron nail was found across the ring mains fuse terminals in the electricity supply box for the flat. 13. High resistances can heat up greatly if a large current passes through them. 10. Enzo’s stainless steel kettle had been playing up for a few weeks. 8. After being fired, Bob started up his own business as an electrician. 11. Susan & Bob had 12. Enzo lives on his been seen together in own in a flat bought by a pub the previous himself just last year. night. 14. Low resistances 15 A battery powered 16. Metals are good allow large currents radio was found conductors of electric to flow through them. switched on & still current. working in the lounge. 17. Regulations state 18. Enzo was found 19. Susan was Enzo’s 20. Smashed crockery that all metal cased dead in kitchen by girlfriend. & a candlestick found appliances / pipework the fire services. on the kitchen floor. should have earth wires attached. 21. Forensic evidence suggests that the fire started from the centre of the kitchen where a wooden table had been located. 22. Phone logs from 23. Mains electricity 24. Neighbours had Susan’s mobile phone is 240V. heard unfamiliar loud provider show she voices coming from called Enzo just Enzo’s flat shortly before and after before the fire. arriving at his flat. 25. Electric current is 26. Bob had worked 27. Bob and Susan 28. An earth wire measured in Amperes for Buzzco (a local were old school provides a safe path (A) electrical company) friends. for electric current to from which he’d been flow. fired four months ago.