MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY (Ch. 5) – REVIEW WORKSHEET
Write the letter of the phrase that best matches each numbered item in the blank provided.
_____ 1. Neur
_____ 2. tomy
_____ 3. pathy
_____ 4. hepat a. a word root meaning nerve b. combining form meaning nerve c. suffix meaning excision or removal d. four times a day
_____ 5. Neur/o
_____ 6. cardi
_____ 7. itis
_____ 8. q.i.d.
_____ 9. ectomy
_____12.nephr e. suffix meaning disease condition f. do not resuscitate g. word root meaning kidney h. suffix meaning inflammation i. urinary tract infection j. suffix meaning the process of cutting k. word root meaning heart l. word root meaning liver
Circle the letter that best answers the question or completes the statement.
13. –logy is a frequently used a. word root b. prefix c. suffix d. combining form
14. The word root oste refers to the a. neck b. head c. bone d. liver
15. The prefix dys- means a. before b. abnormal c. within d. without
16. The GI tract includes all of the following except a. esophagus b. stomach c. salivary glands d. pharynx
17. The word root rhin refers to the a. chin b. spine c. mind d. nose
Fill in the Blank
Write the word (or words) that best completes the sentence in the blank provided.
18. __________________________________________ are found at the beginning of the word and describe, modify, or limit the term.
19. When the vowel O is placed after a word root, it becomes a __________________________________________.
20. The __________________________________________ provides the basic meaning of the word.
21. Placed at the end of the word, the __________________________________________ changes the word’s meaning.
22. The __________________________________________ system includes the heart and the blood vessels.
23. __________________________________________ transmit electrical impulses throughout the body.
24. The bones of the body also function as a storage area for excess
25. The two major divisions of the nervous system are the __________________________________________ and the _____________________________ nervous systems.
26. Two word roots used for kidneys are __________________________________________ and
27. The parts of the muscular system are the __________________________________________ and
28. OTC is the abbreviation for __________________________________________.
29. ER is the abbreviation for __________________________________________.
30. __________________________________________ is the study of skin and its diseases.
31. If you suffered from cervicodynia, the pain would be in your __________________________________________.
THERE WILL ALSO BE SOME SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS ON THE TEST.
MAKE SURE TO REVIEW ALL POWERPOINT NOTES AND THE HOMEWORK INVOLVING
MEDICAL TERMS AND ABBREVIATIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ORGAN SYSTEMS.