Writing Emphasis Course Internship in Political Science PS 4810 – 4811 Dr. Charles Kelly Political Science Department I. Types of Writing Resume and cover letter writing, activity reports, writing memoranda, term paper or report, and journal writing. II. Rationale The Internship in Political Science, is a course designed to provide meaningful experiences in supervised, job-related and/or career-related placements in public sector and not-for-profit service positions to reinforce our students’ Political Science course work of the classroom. During the semester, each student simulates the job-search and interviewing process in a self-selected career area, before being accepted for placement by an organization, and performs activities related to the eventual placement at a job site. In addition, students must record and relate experiences, observations and appropriate recommendations related to their job activities. The types of writing required will assist students in preparing for public service and help them acquire skills necessary for effective activity recording, analytic observation and written communication in public and non-forprofit sector employment. III. Method of Evaluation The course’s writing assignments will be graded on a weighted basis and each will be evaluated using the criteria of clarity, organization, grammar and relevance. The writing of resumes, cover letters and pre-internship reports will also be evaluated in class through an oral review and by openly comparing them to similar efforts by classmates. The hand written journal, maintained by each student on a daily basis during work at the job-site, will serve to provide a base of information and data for two self-evaluation memoranda and the final Internship Report. Seventy percent (70%) of the final grade will be based on the written work completed by students and the remaining thirty percent (30%) will be based on a combination of their supervisors’ evaluation of job performance and participation in similar discussions and analyses. IV. Sample Sequence of Writing Assignments As the outset of the semester, students will develop and write a personal resume and a cover letter requesting a placement or job interview. After completing the search and interviewing process and, as a result, being accepted for a position, the students will write a report which describes the interviews, the position’s responsibilities and how assigned activities will help realize educational and/or career goals. The third and ongoing writing assignment is the maintenance and up-dating of a daily Journal. At the midway and final part of the semester, students will also write a Self-Evaluation Memorandum evaluating their performance at the job site and assessing the appropriateness of the placement as an educational experience. Lastly, a full and comprehensive paper, the Internship Report, will be written toward the end of the students’ internship semester. This paper will contain a description, discussion and analysis of the organization, unit or office where the intern worked, including a set of recommendations based on the observations and impressions recorded in the daily Journal.