THIS IS THE K-O-T-O COMMUNITY RADIO NEWS FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 5TH. I’M CARA PALLONE. IN TODAY’S HEADLINES: - Added air service comes to Montrose A new Friday Sports Roundup is in Awkward eye contact anyone? And, a mountain weather forecast There will be jump in flights landing at Montrose Regional Airport this winter, with new flights coming from Dallas Fort Worth and San Francisco. Colorado Flights Alliance has announced a 20 percent increase in flights. Telski President and General Manager Greg Pack says it will be a game changer for the resort, saying that Telluride already is the easiest ski town to get around with the gondola and free public transit system. And now, it will be easier for guests to get to town. There also will be the return of service from Phoenix Sky Harbor and New York Newark. There are nonstop flights from 10 metropolitan airports, including nine major U.S. hubs. Low-cost carrier Allegiant will again fly Wednesdays and Saturdays to Montrose from Los Angeles Airport and Phoenix-Mesa. The announcement is a positive for the region, but it still leaves questions about what’s next for Telluride Regional Airport, which loses commercial service this month. Great Lakes Airlines, TEX’s only commercial airline provider, suspends service effective September 16th. Colorado Flights Alliance Chief Operating Officer Matt Skinner says it wasn’t completely unexpected. “You know at looking at TEX… seen a reduction in services….” He says they’re turning over every rock to try to find options to put scheduled service back in there. Looking at this winter, it’s not a great loss in volume. “You know 98 percent….it’s a tough loss for that commercial service, not a major loss. Will continue to look for options for TEX.” See detailed schedule information at www.coloradoflights.org/schedule Colorado Flights Alliance is a nonprofit with the mission of creating vitality for Colorado’s western slope through air service development. Kurt Freidrich, recreation coordinator for the town of Telluride, sat down with K-O-T-O Friday for a sports roundup. INSERT That was Kurt Freidrich with a Friday Sports Roundup. Go on, it’s OK. Stare right into that stranger’s eyes. Especially if you’re waiting for the person to cross the street while in your vehicle. Or, if you’re the one about to cross. Colorado Department of Transportation officials are reminding people that it’s certainly ok to make awkward eye contact. Why? Because it saves lives. Of the nearly 1500 pedestrian-related crashes and fatalities in Colorado last year, about 60 percent of drivers were at fault with pedestrians at fault the other 40 percent of the time. This week, CDOT announced a pedestrian safety campaign targeted at both drivers and pedestrians. The campaign employs the tagline, “Awkward Eye Contact Saves Lives: Heads Up at Crosswalks.” It incorporates media placements around the state where awkward eye contact tends to occur, such as bathroom stalls. So why now? The majority of pedestrian-related crashes happen between October and March, spiking in October and January. The majority of crashes happen during the work/school week, in line with the recent back to school crunch. CDOT officials say the simple act of making eye contact at intersections and crosswalks can help reverse the growing problem. The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission meets next week in Glenwood Springs. There are a variety of issues up for discussion, including final regulations for big game, the Western Slop Deer Strategy, draft regulations for snowmobiles, off-highway vehicles and aquatic nuisance control and hunter education program changes. The commission meets 10 times a year and travels to communities around the state to facilitate public participation processes. The panel’s role is to set regulations and policies for Colorado’s state parks and wildlife programs. Check out the complete agenda at cpw.state.co.us With Labor Day over, political campaigns are counting down the days to the November 4th election. Bente [BEN tuh] Birkeland takes a look at two key races. THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECAST FOR THE WESTERN SAN JUANS CALLS FOR A CHANCE OF RAIN TONIGHT WITH MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND A LOW NEAR 40 DEGREES. SATURDAY WILL SEE A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER 10 A.M. WITH PARTLY SUNNY SKIES AND A HIGH IN THE MID-60S AND SATURDAY NIGHT CALLS FOR A CHANCE OF RAIN WITH MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES AND A LOW NEAR 40 DEGREES. SUNDAY WILL SEE A CHANCE OFF RAIN AND THUNDERSTORMS WITH PARTLY SUNNY SKIES AND A HIGH NEAR 70. THIS HAS BEEN THE NEWS FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER FIFTH. THANKS FOR LISTENING. IF YOU HAVE A STORY IDEA OR NEWS TIP, CALL THE NEWS TEAM AT 728-3206. And now, personal commentaries?