Group 4 Project Presentation
Dogan, Jin di, Pan Xiaoyue, Yang li and Pradeep
• • • • • • • Introduction Project Details Meetings Project goals What’s good and not good Time Management Conclusion
• • Information About The Group Project Idea
• A social web site for foreign people in Uppsala Homepage space offered by the university ( http://home.student.uu.se/xxya5511/ ) Drake CMS tool is used to generate the web site. PHP 5.0
Gladius Flat Database
• • • • Communication and Culture Different Backgrounds Support for the Tools Unforseen Uploading the web site
• • Communication Problem Chinese English, Indian English and Turkish English • Background and skill difference among group members Unstable version of the tool Open Source and Free
• Being PM is not easy Hard to assign equal amount of work Group members demands every detail to be precise • Democracy is a good thing but Too much democracy means chaos, PM needs to be fascist.
Lessons Learned (Cont.)
• • Never make important decisions before detailed analysis of your resources.
• Fix as many things as possible at the beginning.
Regular project management techniques may not fit.
Lessons Learned (Cont 2)
• • Using open source and free tools # of Members (5) = x+y. (x) people always work more than (y) people.
• Hard to synchronize between five people.
If we had started it today
• Decide the topic and tools to use earlier and be more decisive in the beginning • Use the stable version of the tool and test the tool more before using it • Start writing the report sooner
• Make major decisions and assign tasks on the meetings • Everyone signs on the agenda • Share agenda and other documents on google document and yahoo group.
Goals of our project
• • • Build a website Learn about project management Learn from each other.
Build a website
• • • Start the project by discussing the topic and tools to use for the project.
Aim is to create a web site about social life for foreigners in Uppsala Switch original ideas to Drake CMS (Content Management System) to meet our needs
Learn about project management
• • “Series of actions to achieve a result” Project organization Dogan Project manager • Yang li Programmer Jin Di Communication manager Programmer Concepts about project Pan Xiaoyue Writer Programmer Pradeep Programmer
Learn from each other
• • • Learn from other members with different backgrounds from different countries.
Learn from others who master different skills and the way of thinking.
Experience working in a multi-culture environment.
What was good
• • • • Different culture, different background Give suggestion actively despite of the language barrier Support the decision PM finally made Communicate through email and share document through Google doc
what did not work well
• • • • Language barrier is the biggest problem Google doc help manage document, sometimes not work well Different background has different view Distribution – time diagram
• Time diagram – all members 39 40 35 30 25 20 15 10 5 0 25 31 A B C D 30 E 15 time
• Working schedule of a member
time 8 7 2 1 0 6 5 4 3 5 4 6 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 1 6 2 4