St. Pauls was built in 1844. It cost £850 to build. The first wedding

Tickton was a farming village.
It was first mentioned in the doomsday book of 1086.
In 1800 the population was 775 and in the 2001 census the population was
Tickton is 1km from the river Hull and 4km North East of Beverley
St. Pauls was built in 1844.
It cost £850 to build.
The first wedding was in January 1846.
The Stephenson family were responsible for providing the money for the stained
glass windows.
There used to be warehouses on the bank of river until they were knocked down in
1984. The river was used for transport from the Humber for many years and in
the civil war was used to transport ammunition from the warehouses on the
On the 2nd of July 1642 , Royalist troops of Sir Robert Strickland marched from
Beverley to Hull Bridge to receive ammunition from the river Humber. On arrival
they broke into and occupied the Constables house, which still stands opposite
the Crown and Anchor pub. The following day the warrant was served on the
Constable by the high sheriff preventing any sort of food or provisions being sent
down the river Hull, which was then in parliaments hands and under siege by the
royalists. The Constable was forced to flee to Beverley where he later saw King
Charles the first arrive after being turned back from the gates of Hull. On the day
after his house was sieged another house nearby belonging to Colonel Legeand,
was plundered by the royalists and this was the first act of hostility in the civil war
in this area. The house continued to be occupied by the royalist soldiers for some
weeks as were other houses in the area. This story was used as evidence of the
trial of King Charles the first.
Tickton School was first built in 832 and 20 girls and 10 boys attended. A national
school was built in 1847. There were 52 children in attendance on inspection day
in 1871. A new 100 place school was built in 1979. The old one was used as an
old peoples home in 1987.
At midnight on the Eve of the Feast of St. Gregory in 1337 (the 11 th of February) John
de Routh was attacked at a place called abbots flat in Routh and was murdered.
Sir Richard de Rous struck him on the head with a sword.
During the second world war on the 24 th of August 1943 , two Halifax bombers
returning from a raid on Berlin collided in mid-air over the village in thick fog .
Unable to return to it’s own base Halifax JB874-E had been diverted to Leconfield
and then re-diverted to Hutton Cranswick. Whilst gaining height the bomber was
hit by Halifax DB373-K which had been on the same raid. Both aircrafts
disintigrated and crashed in fields south of Hull Bridge alongside wheel road. Only
Sergeant. J. Greet the mid upper gunner survived the crash after being rescued
by villagers.