Plot is the organized pattern or sequence of events that make up a story.
2. Rising Action
Middle of Story
4. Falling Action
End of Story
Time and place or where the action occurs
Details that describe setting:
Time of day/year
To create a mood
To show a reader a different way of life
To make action seem more realistic
To increase the conflict or struggle
To symbolize an idea
The person, animals, and things in the story
under goes important changes
remains the same throughout the story
- the main character; the one with whom the reader identifies.
is the force in opposition of the protagonist
Conflict is the dramatic struggle between two forces in a story. Without conflict, there is no plot.
–character is facing a conflict within him/herself
External -outside factor
Character vs Character
Character vs Nature
Character vs Society
First Person Point of View
- uses the pronouns “I” and “me”. Narrator is in the story
Third Person Point of View
- an outside narrator is telling the story; uses the pronouns “he”, “she”, “they”
The narrator knows the
The narrator knows the thoughts and feeling of thoughts and feelings
ALL the characters in a of only ONE character story.
in a story.
Objective Point of View-
The narrator does not reveal anyone one character’s thoughts/feeling
is the feeling that the author tries to convey throughout the story.
-expresses the write/author’s attitude toward his/her subject
- words and phrase that appeal to the five senses . Feel –sight-smell-taste-sound
- when one thing is expected to happen but something else happens
Special Techniques used in a Story
- excitement, tension, curiosity
- hint or clue about what will happen in story
- interrupts the normal sequence of events to tell about something that happened in the past
– use of specific objects or images to represent ideas
– when you make a thing, idea or animal do something only humans do
–using like or as to compare two things
–a comparison not using like or as
is the message about life that the write shares with the reader
What is this story telling me about how life works, or how people behave?