IB1 Physics 11 SL Course Outline The Anglo-American School of Sofia Teacher: Jeff Szeryk [email protected] IB Physics SL 11 2013-2014 Course Outline Topic 1:PHYSICS AND MEASUREMENT 1.1 Realm 1.2 Uncertainties 1.3 Vectors and Scalars Topic 2: MECHANICS 2.1 Kinematics 2.2 Force & Dynamics 2.3 Work, energy & power 2.4 Uniform circular motion 6.1 Gravitational force and field Topic 3: THERMAL PHYSICS 3.1 Thermal concepts 3.2 Thermal properties of matter First Year Topic 4: OSCILLATIONS AND WAVES 4.1 Kinematics of SHM 4.2 Energy in SHM 4.3 Forced oscillations 4.4 Wave characteristics 4.5 Wave properties Option SL:SIGHT and WAVE PHENOMENA A1 The eye and sight A2 Standing waves A3 Doppler effect A4 Diffraction A5 Resolution A6 Polarization Topic 7: ATOMIC --‐ NUCLEAR 7.1 The atom 7.2 Radioactive decay 7.3 Nuclear reactions, fission and fusion An externally assessed examination will determine 76% of the IB grade and a portfolio consisting of laboratory reports will account for the remaining 24% of the grade. Year 2 Topics: Electric Currents, Forces and Fields, Energy Power and Climate Change. SL Option Quantum Physics and Nuclear Physics. Homework Homework will be assigned each class day. If a student is absent for a class then it is the responsibility of the student to check the school Moodle website or my website http://aassofia.wordpress.com/ to make up the missed homework. Assessment: 1. Formative Assessment a. Classroom Participation b. Homework assignments c. Lab Reports d. Teacher Observations e. Quizzes f. Rubrics g. Unit Tests 2. Summative Assessment a. Exams Evaluation Techniques: 1. Formative 80% a. 10% Assignments b. 30% Lab Activities (Internal Assessment) c. 60% Tests and Quizzes 2. Summative Assessment 20% (Trimester Exams) Resources Diploma Program: Physics Syllabus. IBO. Geneva: The International Baccalaureate Organization, 2007. http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/migrated/productionapp2.ibo.org/publication/8/part/2/chapter/2.html Kirk, Tim and Hodson, Neil Physics: Course Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007 Physics for the IB Diploma, Tsokos IB Physics Data Booklet Online Curriculum Center. International Baccalaureate Organization <http://occ.ibo.org/>.