• American Literature II
• Instructor: Prof. Cecilia Liu
• Group Members: Tom,
• The Pictures of Birches
• The silver birch with its characteristic white bark http://upload.wi
kimedia.org/wik ipedia/common s/5/5a/Betula_p endula_winter.j
1. The birches are bent: by the boy’s swinging or by the storm
2. The boy is swing the birches
3. Climbing a tree becomes a retreat for the adult speaker
• Blank verse
: a type of poetry, distinguished by having a regular meter, but no rhyme. In English, the meter most commonly used with blank verse has been iambic pentameter. Source: Wikipedia
The speaker is guessing which factor causes the bending of the birches.
The scenery of snow falling from the birches.
The dragging birches are like girls throwing their hair to dry.
A boy swinger is swinging the birches
The speaker sees climbing the birches as a retreat from the heavy-loaded pressure in life until the branches of the tree could not undertake and then send him back to earth.
• An outside scenery with birch tree
• Or in his imagery recall in his mind?
• Swinging birch tree as a transcendent escape
• Earth V.S. Heaven
• Boy V.S. Man
• Reality V.S. Transcendence