1. List the 6 characteristics common to animal life and give a brief explanation of each.
2. What is homeostasis?
3. Give an example of homeostasis in the body.
4. What are the characteristics of a negative feedback system. Give an example of a negative feedback system.
5. What are the characteristics of a positive feedback system. Give an example of a positive feedback system.
6. Which is vital for the maintenance of homeostasis, a positive feedback system, or a negative feedback system, and WHY?
7. Give 6 levels of biological organization in order from lowest to highest, and give an example of each.
8. What are the 2 cavities contained within the Dorsal body cavity, and what is found in each, and where are they located?
9. What are the 2 major divisions of the Ventral body cavity, and where are they located?
10. What are the 3 cavities located within the thoracic cavity and what is contained in each?
11. What are the 2 cavities located within the abdominopelvic cavity, where is each located, and what is contained in each?
12. Where specifically are the following located: a. a parietal membrane b. a visceral membrane c. peritoneal cavity
13. Define each of the following and be able to use them to describe a body position. a. Anatomical position b. Superior and Inferior c. Anterior and Posterior d. Dorsal and Ventral e. Medial and Lateral f. Proximal and Distal g. Superficial, Peripheral and Deep
14. For each of the following body systems, list the structures and/or organs belonging to it and its general functions. a. Integumentary system
b. Skeletal system c. Muscular system d. Nervous system e. Endocrine system f. Cardiovascular system g. Respiratory system h. Lymphatic system
I. Digestive system j. Urinary system k. Reproductive system
15. Describe each of the following body sections and be able to recognize them a. Sagittal b. Transverse/Horizontal c. Coronal/Frontal e. Midsagittal f. Parasagittal h. Cross-section
16. You will also be responsible for identifying and knowing the contents of: a. the body regions found on pages 15-16 b. the abdominal quadrants found on page 17
17. You should be familiar with all of the directional terminology listed on pages 18.