• a _____________________________ of two things using “_____________________________” or “_____________________________” • EXAMPLE:
• • a _____________________________ _____________________________ of two _____________________________ things a type of figurative language in which a statement is made that says that one thing is something else but, literally, it is not. •
• • an extravagant _____________________________. a figure of speech that is a grossly exaggerated description or statement. In literature, such exaggeration is used for emphasis or vivid descriptions. •
• a _____________________________ in a literary work to a person, place, or thing in history or another work of literature. Allusions are often indirect or brief references to well-known characters or events. They are used to summarize broad, complex ideas or emotions in one quick, powerful image. •
Literary/Historical References –
In Cold Blood
• Literary References: • Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Robert Frost, Ogden Nash: mentioned as the favorite poets of _____________________________, the man condemned on death row with Dick and Perry • than 300,000 soldiers to fight on the side of South Korea. _____________________________was one of them.
• A symbol is literary device that contains several layers of meaning, often concealed at first sight, and is representative of several other aspects/ concepts/ traits than those that are visible in the • • _____________________________. Historical References: • Harold Robbins and Irving Wallace: American authors whose popular novels in the 1950s and 60s were known for having lots of sex. Dick reads their novels while in Korean War: 1950-53, a conflict between North and South Korea. The U.S. sent more literal translation alone. Symbol is using an object or action that means something more than its literal meaning. Symbols –
In Cold Blood
: • __________________________________ • • • __________________________________ __________________________________ __________________________________
• Language that appeals to the senses • • The five senses are: • __________________________________ • • • __________________________________ __________________________________ __________________________________ • __________________________________ Often involves figurative language
• • the use of similar _____________________________ constructions to express ideas that are _____________________________ or _____________________________ in importance. EXAMPLE: • __________________________________ • __________________________________
• Genres are different forms of texts. • Examples of Literary Genres: • _________________________ - plays • _________________________ - Novels • _________________________ - Sonnets • _________________________ - Newspaper articles
• An author writes for many reasons. An author may give you facts or true information about a subject. If so, they are writing to _____________________________. Some authors write fiction stories or stories that are not true. They write these stories to _____________________________ you. Other authors may write to _____________________________ or to try to get you to do something.
What is the author’s purpose?
• if the passage contains . . . • Facts or true Information? ___________________________________ • Fiction? ___________________________________ • Tries to get you to do something? ___________________________________