NEWSPAPERS OF ESSEX COUNTY: PUBLISHING BEFORE 1960 (updated: Katharine Ball: 2014/09/25) Please note that the non-UW holdings are incomplete and may be inaccurate. Title(s) of Newspaper ?Name Unknown Advance Ahbarijiet Ta' Malta Malta News Place(s) of Publication Sandwich Essex Centre Windsor Dates of Publication Frequency UW Holdings 1844 1882 - 1885 Weekly Weekly None None 1954: Apr. - 1965: Nov. (v. 2: no. 4) Monthly None Other Essex Co. Holdings Other Holdings McMaster University: 1954 1965 (microfilm) – missing 1965: May/June National Library: 1954 - 1965 (microfilm) Amherstburg Courier Western District Advertiser Courier Amherstburg Echo Echo Amherstburg Amherstburg 1849: March 10th 1854? 1874: Nov. 20th - 2012 Weekly Weekly 1849: no. 1 1850: No. 48 (microfilm: incomplete?; AN.A55) 1874: Nov. 20th 1982: Dec. 29th (microfilm; AN.A56) Windsor Public: 1849: March1850: Feb. 9th (microfilm: incomplete) Simon Fraser University: 19541965 (microfilm) Metro Toronto Library: Baldwin Room: 1850: Nov. 23rd (v.2: no. 37) Windsor's Community Museum: 1850: Aug. 31st Archives of Ontario: 1851: July 5th Essex County Public: 1969: Jan. - 1984: Dec. 26th (microfilm); current issues National Library: 1849: March 10th - 1850: Feb. 9th (microfilm: incomplete) St. Thomas More College (Sask.), Shannon Library: 1880?: Oct. 22nd Windsor Public: [1896] - 1918; [1935] - 1939; 1969 - Archives of Ontario: 1874: Nov. 20th; 1880: Oct.22nd; 1908: Oct. 15th; 1910: July 8th, July 15th, Dec. 10th; 1914: Aug. 14t h- Sept. 18th, Oct. 1st, Oct. 9th, Nov. 20th, Dec. 11th; 1915: Jan. 22nd, Jan. 29th, Feb. 12th - Feb. 23rd, Mar. 5th, June 4th, Aug. 20th, Sept. 24th, Oct. 22nd, Oct. 29th, Nov. 5th, Nov. 19th - Dec. 3rd, Dec. 17th - Dec. 31st; 1918: Dec. 13th; 1923: Aug. 31st, Oct. 5th - Dec. 28th; 1924: Jan. 4th - Sept. 19th, Nov. 28th; 1934: no. 23; 1938: Apr. 29th, June 17th University of Western Ontario: 1927: May 13th (v.53: no. 25); 1934: Nov. 23rd; 1966: July 21st National Library: 1923: Nov. 23rd Notes Published by Thomas Ireland Established by John Stafford; merged with the Chronicle to become the Argus Published in Maltese and English; founded and edited by George Bonavia; published by the Ethnic Publishing Co.; Albert Bajona was associate editor - Ethnic Newspaper Microfilming Project of OCUL 1972/1973 Published on Saturdays; Publisher: James A. Reeves; office on Dalhousie Street, opposite the British North American Hotel; John Richmond and Colin Fox were later editors Established by Hon. William D. Balfour and Mr. John A. Auld Amherstburg Leader Amherstburg 189?-189? Weekly None Amherstburg Observer And Agricultural Record For the County of Essex Observer Amherstburg 1860?-1861? Weekly None Amherstburg Telegraph Telegraph Amherstburg 1855-1856? Weekly None Argus Essex Centre 1885 Weekly None Beaver Border Cities Era Windsor Windsor 188?-188? 1918-192? Weekly Weekly None None Border Cities Star Windsor 1918:Sept. 3rd - 1935: June 28th Daily 1918: Sept. 3rd 1935: June 28th (microfilm; AN.W54) Conservative paper; Henry Clay was editor; later George M. Winn John Richmond was publisher in 1861; was a 7 column, 4 page paper; its slogan: Improvement, improvement, improvement Windsor's Community Museum: 1860: July 20th; 1861: Feb. 22nd Archives of Ontario: 1855: Dec. 7th (v.1: no. 32) National Library: 1856: July 25th Published Fridays; Source: Butcher's; formed by the merger of the Chronicle and the Advance; owned originally by John Stafford and George Laing; in December, 1885 was bought by Dr. James Brien and became the Essex Liberal (Source: A brief sketch of the County of Essex) Windsor's Community Museum: 1918: Aug. 24th-1919: Aug. 16th Windsor Public: 1918 - 1935 (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: 1919: Dec. 31st Windsor Star Office: 1917 1935 British National Library: 1918: Sept. 3rd (new ser. v.1 : no. 1) 1918: Nov. 11th Continued by the Windsor Star; supersedes Evening Record and Essex Record Archives of Ontario: 1918: Sept. 3rd - 1919: Dec. 31st (microfilm); 1922: Mar. 4th, July 28th; 1925: Sept. 5th, Dec. 31st; 1926: Mar. 30th; 1927: June 18th; 1928: Feb. 25th, Nov. 10th, Dec. 8th; 1929: Nov. 9th, Dec. 28th; 1931: Apr. 4th, Apr. 6th, Apr. 9th, Apr. 10th; 1934: Mar. 10th; 1935: May 4th, May 18th, May 25th (paper) Halton Region Museum: [1918: Aug. 24th - 1919: Aug.] University of Western Ontario: [1918 - 1935] (microfilm) Willoughby Historical Museum: 1921: [Feb. 19th]; 1930: [no. 1] Border Cities Sun Sun British Canadian Canada Oak Windsor Sandwich Sandwich 1920: Sept. 8th - 1920: Dec. 31st 1857 1850 - 1856? Daily None Weekly Weekly None None Evening Edition National Library: 1855: Dec. 15th Archives of Ontario: 1854: Mar. 3rd, Mar. 10th Canada Roumanian Ford City 1924 - 1925? Canadai Hatarvarosok Hiradoja Canadian Border Cities Herald Windsor 1929 - 1930 Semimonthly Weekly None None Published by D. A. McMullen; in the issue: May 13th, 1853, the motto read: "Hold Fast The Mother Sod" Published in Roumanian by "Committee 35" Primarily a Hungarian language publication Canadian Emigrant and Western District Advertiser (1831 - 1834: Feb.) Canadian Emigrant and Western District Weekly Advertiser (1834: Mar. 8th – 1835: June 20th) Canadian Emigrant and Western District Commercial and General Advertiser (1835: June - 1837?) Sandwich Emigrant (1831?) Sandwich 1831-1837 Weekly [1831 - 1836] (microfilm CS; damaged; AN.C274) Windsor Public: [1831: Dec. 1st 1834: Feb.] Windsor's Community Museum: [1831 - 1836] (microfilm) Metro Toronto Library: Newspapers Microform: 1831: Dec. 1st (v.1: no.3) - 1836: Sept. 20th (microfilm) Archives of Ontario: 1832: Apr. 28th, Oct. 13th; 1833: Sept. 28th; 1834: June 14th; 1835: Aug. 8th, Sept. 12th (paper); [1831: Dec. 1st - 1836: Sept. 20th] (microfilm) University of Guelph: 1831 - 1836 (microfilm) Suspended publication: 1832: June 29th - Sept. 22nd; 1832: no. 3 - 1833: June 29th; 1833: Dec. 28th - 1834: Jan. 25th; published Thursday mornings, later Saturday mornings, then Thursday mornings again; published by John Cowan of Sandwich; the office was in the ware-rooms of the late John McGregor, Esq. - at the corner of Russell and Mill streets (from paper itself); edited by James M. Cowan? (Township of Sandwich, 1901) University of Western Ontario: 1852: Mar. 13th (v.1: no. 13) (paper); [1831 - 1836] (microfilm) + others with 1831 - 1836 microfilm Canadian Workman Essex Centre 1881?-1883? Monthly; Semi-Monthly None Canadien Windsor 1891-189? Weekly National Library: 1891: Sept. 5th Churchman Sandwich 1856 Monthly 1891: juillet 25 (microfilm; AN.C325) None Clairon Windsor Clairon Windsor no. 1 (1913: sept. 25) – no. 15 (1914) Weekly 1913: no. 1, no. 2, no. 5 (microfilm; AN.C524) Universite Laval: Bibliotheque Generale: 1913: Sept. 25th - Oct. 2nd (microfilm) Published by the Ancient Order of United Workmen in Canada; published out of the Essex Chronicle office; its circulation in 1882 was 3,000 (Ayer Newspaper Annual); may also have been published in Orillia at some point French language publication; published by Telesphore St.-Pierre (76 Lewis St., Detroit) Published by the Reverand E. H. Dewar, rector of St. John's, Sandwich French language publication; published by the Windsor Publishing Co.; publisher: Mr. Lavergne University of Ottawa: 1913: no.1 1914: no. 15 (microfilm) Clarion Windsor Clarion Windsor 1885 - 1915? Weekly None Coiled Spring Walkerville 189? - 189? Monthly None Comber Herald Herald Comber 1890-1967 Weekly None Comber Independent Comber 1883: Aug. 9th – 1890 Weekly None Windsor's Community Museum: 1885: Nov. 27th; 1887: July 9th; 1888: Dec. 29th; 1891: Dec. 12th Essex County Public: 1892: Jan. - 1894: Dec.; 1897: Jan. 1899: Dec.; 1900: Jan. - 1902: Dec.; 1906: Jan. - 1917: Dec.; 1920: Jan. - 1964: Dec. (microfilm) National Library: 1913-1914 (microfilm) Archives of Ontario: 1886: Jan. 9th Archives of Ontario: 1894: Sept. 15th Archives of Ontario: 1943: Mar. 4th Published Saturdays; published and edited by Charles D. Clark (1888); had a popular column called "The Corner Loafer"; office at the corner of Ouellette Avenue and Pitt Street Established by Charles Clark; was absorbed by the Tilbury Times in 1967 Published Thursdays (source: Butcher’s); A. Ed Lovelace was owner/publisher in late 1880s (source: Detroit Free Press 1889-1890); Alfred Mellish is named as the founder (source: Comber Herald 1894) Courrier Courrier De L'Ouest Courrier D'Essex Windsor Windsor Detroit Windsor 1908 - 1909? 1885 - 1886? 1884: aout 8 - 1885 Weekly Weekly Weekly 1908: v. 1: no. 1 - 1908: v.1: no. 2; 1908/1909: v.1: no. 40 - v.1: no. 41 (microfilm; AN.C68) National Library: 1908: avril 2 (v. 1: no. 1) 1885: v. 3: no.3 - v.3: no.4; 1885/1886: v.4: no. 10, no. 23 (microfilm; AN.C6832) Archives of Ontario: 1885: June 27th, July 4th, Dec. 18th; 1886: Jan. 29th-May 7th (microfilm) 1884: v. 1: no. 1 - 1885: v. 2: no. 8 (microfilm; AN.C683 Archives of Ontario: 1884: Aug. 8th; 1885: Jan. 17th (microfilm) Daily Dominion Dominion Windsor Sandwich 1865?-1876? Daily/Weekly None Daily Herald and Windsor Review Defense Windsor Windsor 1901: Dec. 11th - 190? 1918: Mar. 7th - 1920: Sept 2nd? Daily Weekly None 1918: mars 7 (v.1) - 1920? (microfilm; AN.D3583) Drapeau National Essex Advocate Canada Advertiser and Essex Advocate Essex Centre Chronicle Chronicle Windsor 1891 - 1892? Weekly Archives of Ontario:1908: April 2nd, April 9th, Dec. 31st; 1909: Jan. 7th (v.1: no. 41)(microfilm) University of Ottawa: 1884 - 1885 (microfilm) 1851? - 1853? Weekly None Essex Centre 1879: May - 1885 Weekly None French language publication; continues Courrier D'Essex Published Fridays; office was at 13 Ouellette Ave., Windsor; also offices at 50 Larned St., Detroit and 34 Davenport St., Detroit French language publication; continued by Courrier De L'Ouest; published at 13 Oullette Avenue and edited by A. Bodard Published Saturdays May have started in the mid to late 1860s (Evening Record 1904/01/23 p. 3); was still publishing Jan. 13th, 1872; established by Messrs. John Richmond (from Colchester) and White, in Windsor; then purchased by Messrs. McKee and John L. Murdoch who moved the plant to Sandwich (lot 5, West Bedford St., then lot 8, West Bedford); John L. Murdoch(k) was owner/publisher until 1874; then moved back to Windsor and run as a weekly and daily by James C. Murdoch(k) and Brothers; at some point was owned by Major John Lewis; had a conservative political viewpoint Windsor's Community Museum: 1875: Jan. 19th National Library: 1901: Dec. 11th Listed in Vernon’s 1919/1920: published by The Franco-Canadian Printing Co.; owner: Antonio Lussier; Address: 16 Pitt St. W. ; Phone: 478 Essex County Public: 1918: July 19th - 1920: Apr. 2nd (microfilm) Windsor Public: 1918: Mar. 7th 1920: Sept. 2nd (microfilm) 1891: no. 1 1892: no. 9 (microfilm; AN.D72) Sandwich French language publication; published by W. T. Jacques and edited by F. X. Chauvin; 1908 office was in the White Block, 15 Sandwich St. W., room 2: phone 68; 1909: moved to the Thompson Building, Pitt St.; Paul Caty became editor National Library: 1891: nov. 20 Universite Laval: 1892: avr. 29 (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: 1851: no. 20; 1853: Jan. 20th, Feb. 3rd Windsor's Community Museum: 1880: Aug. 27th French language publication; published and edited by G. Vekeman 1891: nov. 20 (no. 1) online at FrenchCanadian Newspapers: An Essential Historical Source (Library and Archives Canada): http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/can adian-newspapers-french/index-e.html Publisher: A.C. Morton Archives of Ontario: 1882: Feb. 17th Published firstly by Robert Fair; address: 16 Talbot St., Essex Centre; Essex Chronicle Essex County Standard Daily Standard Windsor Daily Standard Windsor 1900? - 1910? Weekly None Essex Free Press Free Press Essex 1892 - present Weekly 1895 - 1922; 1924 - 1968 (microfilm CS; AN.E75) National Library: 1903: Dec. 15th Essex County Public: current issues; 1969: Jan. - 1984 (microfilm) Windsor Public: 1969 - present (microfilm) Essex Journal Sandwich 1862? -187? Weekly None Windsor's Community Museum: 1862: Apr. 29th Essex Liberal Essex Centre Liberal Liberal Essex Centre 1885 - 1892 Weekly None Windsor's Community Museum: 1886: Aug. 27th National Library: 1901: Nov. 22nd; 1967: June 30th, July 7th merged with the Advance to become the Argus (Source: http://oldtimecorner.ca/archives/essex_ free_press.html); later published by John Milne (Garden Gateway to Canada, p. 92) Started by Joseph McKee and Charles L. Barker; Oscar E. Fleming then became the largest shareholder; then Mr. George M. Winn became editor and manager; then F. J. Hughes (Township of Sandwich, 1909) 1895 – 2009 digitized at: http://ink.ourontario.ca First owners: Henry and Frank Walters. For history: see http://oldtimecorner.ca/archives/essex_ free_press.html Was still publishing Jan. 13th, 1872; started by James Woodbridge (Sandwich); was bought out by the Essex Record; moved to Windsor in March 1865 (Garden Gateway to Canada, p. 110) Published Fridays; Butcher’s says established 1885; continues the Argus; first owner: Dr. James Brien; continued by the Essex Free Press (Source: A brief sketch of the county of Essex) Essex Record Windsor Record Essex Record And Journal Record and Essex County Chronicle Weekly Record Tri-Weekly Record Windsor Record And Essex County Chronicle Essex Review Windsor Review Review Windsor 1860? - 1918? Weekly (mainly), SemiWeekly, TriWeekly, Daily 1871: Nov. 16th - 1882: Nov. 9th (microfilm CS; incomplete?; AN.E83) Essex County Public: [1871: Nov. 16th - 1882: Nov. 9th] (microfilm) Windsor Public: [1871 - 1882] 1892 - 1918: Aug. (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: 1864: May 29th; 1865: May 30th, June 6th, July 15th; 1876: May 26th - 1881: Dec. 29th; 1882: Feb. 2nd - Mar. 23rd, June 29th Sept. 21st, Nov. 2nd - Dec. 7th; 1883: May 17th; 1884: June 14th, Dec. 13th; 1885: Apr. 11th, Apr. 15th, July 22nd, Dec. 26th; 1886: Jan. 2nd, Jan. 23rd, Feb. 5th, Feb. 19th, Feb. 26th, July 2nd; 1894: Apr. 20th Essex Windsor 1878? - 1899? Weekly None Essex Times Windsor 1876-1878 Weekly None L'Etoile Canadienne Sandwich 1870? - 1881? Weekly None Archives of Ontario: 1870: Dec. 5th?; 1884: Jan. 9th; 1886: Jan. 9th McGill University: McLennan: 1865: Mar. 7th University of Western Ontario: 1879: Jan. 2nd, Jan. 16th, May 15th Universite Laval: 1894: Jan. 5th Windsor's Community Museum: 1885: Dec. 25th; 1899: July 28th University of Western Ontario: 1885: Nov. 13th (v. 8: no. 1) Windsor Public: 1885: June 1886: Feb. (microfilm); 1895: Jan. - 1896: Feb. (microfilm) National Library: 1889: Feb. 15th Archives of Ontario: 1885: Jan. 16th; 1886: Jan. 8th; 1893: Feb. 16th Continued by Border Cities Star; see also Evening Record (which was the daily edition) From Windsor, Ontario, 1913: 1860-1869: Publisher: Mr. P. G. Laurie 1863-1864: tri-weekly 1864-1865 there were 2 editions: a weekly edition published on Saturday and a tri-weekly edition published Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays 1869-1870: Publisher: Alexander Cameron 1870: Newspaper office burned down 1870: re-established by Stephen Lusted 1877: tried to have an additional daily edition; failed after 2 months-> back to weekly only 1882-1890: Publishers: Robert Barr, then his sons (William, John, and James), then Mr. Wallace Graham 1890-: Archibald McNee and John A. McKay ran both the Weekly Record and the Evening Record (see below) 1915: both the daily and the weekly were still being published in 1915 (at 36 Sandwich W.) (Vernon’s 1915) 1918: daily May have started October 1861 (Garden Gateway to Canada, p. 110) Called Essex Review until 1890? and published in Essex; afterwards published in Windsor Butcher's: says started 1878; published Fridays Established by C. Cliff; then purchased by T. M. White; then F. H. Macpherson; conservative leaning/interests (Township of Sandwich 1909) Publishing Oct. 26th, 1876; published on Sandwich St.; conservative leaning/interests (Township of Sandwich, 1909); published Wednesdays; John Lewis was editor and publisher; circulation 1,000; 4 pages: 28x44 inches; subscription: $1.50 Published by Thomas McKee?; established by Mr. Truax; published by Joseph A. Ouellette; last edition printed from the Free Press office in Detroit Evening Record Daily Record Windsor Record Windsor Evening Record Windsor Daily Record Record Windsor 1890: April - 1918: Aug. 31st Daily 1893: Jan. 3rd 1918: May 31st (microfilm; AN.W53) Windsor Public: 1893-1918 Windsor's Community Museum: 1902: Jan. 31st Metro Toronto Library: Baldwin Room: 1904: June 1st (v.15: no. 56) - 1917: May 23rd? From Windsor, Ontario, 1913: National Library: 1917: May 23rd Windsor Star Office: 1897 1918 Archives of Ontario: 1895: Dec. 10th - 1918: Aug. 31st (microfilm) McMaster University: [1893 1918] (microfilm) Feuille D'Erable Maple Leaf Continued by Border Cities Star, later Daily Star Tecumseh 1931: Jan. 29th – 1958 (v. 28) Weekly None Windsor Public: 1931: Jan. 1958: Dec. (microfilm?) National Library: 1949: mai 26; [1953: jan. 2 - 1954: dec. 30] University of Western Ontario: 1953: dec. 24 (v. 23: no. 51) 1890- Archibald McNee and John A. McKay ran both the Evening Record and the Weekly Record (see above); Mr. McNee retired in 1906 - both the daily and the weekly (see above) were still being published in 1915 (at 36 Sandwich W.) (Vernon’s 1915) Suspended publication from 1954: juin 18 - dec. 22; in French and English; founded and published by the Hon. Gustave Lacasse Welland Public: 1931: janv. – 1958: dec. (microfilm) Assemblee Nationale du Quebec. Bibliotheque – 1944: janv. 13 – 1957: dec. 26 Free Lance Glas Kanadskih Srba Voice of Canadian Serbs Windsor Windsor Toronto 188?-1893? 1944: Jan. 6th present Weekly Weekly None None Windsor Public: current issues Metro Toronto Library: [1966: Jan. - present] National Library: [1944: Jan. 6th present] Archives of Ontario: 1981: Jan. 7th – 1987: Dec. 31st Harrow News Harrow 1954 – present Weekly None Harrow Sentinel Harrow 1900-1907? Weekly None Independent Canada Windsor Weekly None Independent du Canada Windsor 1895: Dec. 23rd 1896? 1891: fevr. 1? - 1892? Weekly? 1892: mars 25 (microfilm; AN.I38) Edited by James McCallum Serbian language publication with an English section since 1965: Sept.; published in Windsor since 1945: Nov. 15th; continues Glas Kanade/Voice of Canada which was published in Toronto; the official organ of the Serbian National Shield Society since 1945 Essex County Public: 1954 – present (microfilm) Archives of Ontario: 1907: Mar. 7th National Library: 1895: Dec. 23rd Universite Laval: Bibliotheque Generale: 1892: Mar. 25th French language publication; agriculture, commerce, industry, politics Kingsville Reporter Essex County Reporter Reporter Kingsville 1876 - present Weekly 1893 - 2001: Dec. 18th (microfilm; FC3099.K56 K55) Essex County Public: current issues; 1969: Jan. - 1984: Dec. (microfilm) Windsor Public: 1893 – 1902; 1904 – 1951; 1953 – 1984 (microfilm); 1985 – (microfiche) Windsor's Community Museum: 1891: Feb. 20th Metro Toronto Library: Baldwin Room: 1944: Apr. 10th Known as the Essex County Reporter from 1939 – 1947 National Library: [1952]; 1967: June 29th, Nov. 23rd Published Fridays 1904: W. H. Hellems was editor Archives of Ontario: 1941: Oct. 9th; 1944: Apr. 10th, April 13th?, Nov. 9th ; [1951 – 1952] University of Toronto: 1944: Apr. 10th University of Western Ontario: [1952]; 1953: Sept. 17th Leamington News Leamington Post Post And News Post Erie Post News Leamington Post And News Leamington Leamington 1896?-1911 1874 - present Weekly Weekly None 1907 - 1995: Dec. (microfilm; AN.L45) Essex County Public: current issues; 1969: Jan. - 1984: Dec. (microfilm) Leamington Public: 1985 - ; 1907 - 1984 (microfilm) Windsor Public: 1907 – 1984; 1998 – present (microfilm); 1985 – 1997 (microfiche) Post and News Office: 1906 to present Archives of Ontario: 1896: Jan. 7th (Erie Post); [1878 – 1908] (Post); [1939, 1953, 1965] (Post and News) Publisher: E. McKay The Leamington Post, founded in 1874, purchased the Leamington News, (founded in 1896?), in 1911 (Murray); Published Thursdays University of Western Ontario: 1876: July 13th (v.3: no. 10 or no. 114); 1878: Jan. 17th, July 18th; 1879: Mar. 27th; 1885: Dec. 10th; 1890: Sept. 11th; 1893: Aug. 3rd National Library: 1907 – 1912 (microfilm); 1899/1900 Christmas/New Year Suppl. (Leamington Post); 1911: June – 1912: Dec.; 1967: Sept. 14th, Sept. 21st (paper) Archives of Ontario: 1939: Mar. 23rd University of Toronto: 1927: June 23rd Leamington Times Times Leamington Tribune Leamington 1891 Weekly None Leamington 188?-188? Weekly None Maple Leaf Sandwich Maple Leaf Amherstburg Maple Leaf My Som Tu We Are Here Sandwich Amherstburg 1856 - 1861 Weekly None Windsor 1941: May 25th 1941:June? Monthly v.1: no. 1 (1941) - no. 22 (1942) (Leddy Rare; D731.O37) New Eve Success Windsor 1899: Mar. 31st? 1899? Weekly None University of Western Ontario: 1953: Sept. 17th, Oct. 15th; [1966] National Library: 1891: no. 12 Windsor's Community Museum: [1856 - 1858]; 1860: Nov. 20th, Dec. 26th; [1861] University of Western Ontario: 1857: June 4th (v.2: no. 15) National Library: 1899: May 5th Information from the Windsor Evening Record 1904: Jan. 23rd, p. 7 Published by James H. Wilkinson in a brick office on lot 2, east Bedford St.; later published by John Cowan? Polish language publication; some English?; published by the recruiting station of the Polish Armed Forces in Canada; continued by Odsiecz/Fighting Poland North Essex News Belle River North Essex News Lakeshore News News Belle River 1947: July - present Weekly; SemiMonthly Odsiecz Fighting Poland Windsor 1941: July - 1942: Apr. Weekly Presse - Frontiere Windsor Tecumseh 1921 - 1922? Weekly Progres Progress Windsor 1881: juin 1. - 1920? Weekly None Essex County Public: 1970 – 1984 (microfilm); current issues Windsor Public: 1969 – 1984 (microfilm); 1986 – 1999 (microfiche) v.1: no. 1 (1941) - no. 22 (1942) (Leddy Rare; D731.O37) None 1888: sept. 6; 1890: juill. 24, juill. 31; 1891: mars 12; 1897: juin 3 (microfilm; AN.P76) Archives of Ontario: 1949: May 6th Semi-monthly: 1947-1949 National Library: 1967: Apr. 13th, Sept. 7th, Sept. 14th; 1968: Oct. 3rd Windsor Public: 1921: Nov. 10th - 1922: June 22nd (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: 1887: Oct. 27th; 1889: June 20th; 1901: May 23rd National Library: 1921: Nov. 10th – 1922: June 22nd (microfilm) In Polish and English; Continues My Som Tu; contains reports from Polish military camps in Windsor and Owen Sound French language publication; published by Seguin Freres St. Thomas More College: Shannon Library: 1881: July 6th (v.1: no. 6) French language publication; founded by Aurele Pacaud and edited by Gaspard Pacaud Windsor Public: 1881:juin1890:juin Archives of Ontario: 1881: July 7th Published Thursdays Universite Laval: Bibliotheque Generale: 1897: Jan. 3rd (microfilm) Still publishing in 1919/1920 at 16 Pitt St. W. (Vernon’s 1919/1920) Musee de la Civilisation. Bibliotheque du Seminaire de Quebec. Fond Ancien: 1888: janv. 5 – 1891 Provincial Freeman Provincial Freeman and Weekly Advertiser Windsor Toronto 1853: Mar. 24th - 1857: Sept. 20th? Weekly National Library: 1888: sept. 6 – 1897: Juin 3 (microfilm) Archives of Ontario: [1853 - 1857] (microfilm) 1854: v. 1 1857: v.4 (microfilm; HT851.P76) University of Toronto: [1853 1857] (microfilm) University of Waterloo: [1853 – 1857] (microfilm) University of Pennsylvania Library: 1853: Mar. 24th; 1854: Mar. 25th; 1857: Sept. 12th? Chatham Public: 1853: Mar. 24th; [1854: Mar. 25th - 1857: Sept. 20th] (microfilm) National Library: 1854: Mar. 24th (v.1: no. 1) – 1857: Sept. 6th (v.3: no. 51) (microfilm) Toronto Public Main Reference: 1854: Nov. 18th; 1856: July 31st (paper); 1855 – 1857 (microfilm) Riverside News News Riverside Windsor 1946 - present Weekly None Essex County Public: [1948: Mar. 11th - 1973: Dec. 21st] (microfilm) Windsor Public: [1948] - 1973 (microfilm) Published in Windsor from 1853 - 1854: Mar.; published in Toronto from 1854: Mar. - 1855: June; published in Chatham from 1855: Aug. 22nd - 1857; anti-slavery, temperance newspaper; Samuel R. Ward was first editor Not published?: 1855: July – Aug. 15th, Oct. 27th, Dec. 15th; 1856: Jan. 12th, Aug. 3rd – Nov. 18th, Dec. 20th; 1857: Jan. 17th, May 23rd Provincial Freeman: 1853 – 1855: Feb. Online at: http://ink.ourontario.ca Royal Forester Sandwich Courrier Amherstburg Sandwich 1854?-185? 1924: Apr. 4th - 1930? Weekly None None From Vernon’s 1924/1915: “the fastest growing weekly newspaper in Western Ontario”; editor: F. Dean VanLuven; address: 7 Sandwich St. E.; phone: Seneca 5203M Essex County Public: [1924: Apr. 4th - 1930: Apr. 18th] (microfilm) Windsor Public: 1924: Apr. 4th 1930: Apr. 18th] (microfilm) Slovensky Hlas Slovak Voice Windsor Toronto 1949: Apr. - present Monthly/ Semi-Monthly None Tecumseh Tribune Tecumseh 1959: Jan. - 2012: Jan. 19th Weekly None National Library: [1949: Apr. present] Published in Slovak and English; published in Windsor from 1949 - 1951; published in Toronto from 1951 onwards; usually monthly but semimonthly from 1950: May 10th - 1951: Sept.?; official organ of the Canadian Slovak Benefit Society Essex County Public: 1959: Jan. 30th - 1980: Mar. 27th Windsor Public: 1972: Jan. 27th - 1977: Dec. 15th Tilbury Herald Tilbury 1884 Weekly None Tilbury News Tilbury 1894-190? Weekly None Tilbury Times Tilbury 1884: July – present Weekly None Archives of Ontario: [1898: Mar. 11th – 1930: Dec. 25th; 1938: May 10th] It was printed in Ridgetown by E. McKay (of the Ridgetown Plaindealer); lasted only 3 months (first half of 1884) (Essex Record 1904/01/23 p.7) Established by F. Monroe (of Orangeville); still publishing in 1904; for an early history, see the Evening Record (1904/01/23 p. 7) Established by W. A. Shaw; for an early history, see the Evening Record (1904/01/23 p. 7) Essex County Public: 1960 – 1984 (microfilm) True Royalist and Weekly Intelligencer Windsor 1860? - 1861? Weekly Twin City Quill Quill Windsor 1890-1891? Weekly 1860: v.1: no. 4; 1861: v.2: no. 10 (microfilm CS; AN.T78) Chatham-Kent Public: [1898 – 1971]; 1973 – 1975; 1978 – 1983 (microfilm); 1984 (paper); 1985 – present (microfiche) Fort Malden National Historical Park (Amherstburg): 1860: May 10th (v.1: no. 4); 1861: June 21st (v. 2: no. 10) Universal liberty and temperance paper; published and edited by the Rev. A. R. Green of the British Methodist Episcopal Church Published and edited by James McCallum; continued by the Windsor Sentinel (Windsor Evening Record: 1904: Jan. 23rd, p. 7) Voice of the Fugitive Windsor Sandwich 1851: Jan. 1st - 1852 SemiMonthly 1851 - 1852 (microfilm; incomplete?; AN.V6) Windsor Public: [1851 - 1852] (microfilm) National Library: [1851: Jan. 1 1852: Dec. 16th] (paper); [1851: Jan. 1st - 1852: Apr. 8th] (microfilm) Archives of Ontario: [1851: Jan. 1st – 1852: Dec. 16th] (microfilm) Anti-slavery paper; abolitionist paper founded by Henry Bibb, a fugitive American slave. After 1852: June 17th the paper was published and edited by Bibb and J. T. Holly 1851: Jan. 1st – 1852: Dec. 16th digitized at: http://ink.ourontario.ca American Antiquarian Society (Worcester, Mass): 1851: July 2nd (v.1: no. 14) University of Western Ontario: 1851: Mar. 12th (v. 1 :no. 6), Oct. 22nd, Nov. 5th; 1852: Feb. 26th, Sept. 9th Various other libraries have same microfilm holdings Walkerville Gazette Walkerville 1913?-191? Weekly None Walkerville Herald Herald Walkerville 1890: April 19th – 1913? Weekly None Walkerville Mercury Mercury Walkerville 1890: Apr. 19th – 1891: Apr. 11th? Weekly Walkerville News News Walkerville 1922? – 1936 Weekly Western Express Western Express And General Advertiser Sandwich 1843 - 1844 Weekly None None 1890/1891: v.1 (microfilm; AN.W23) Windsor Public: 1890: Apr. 1891: Apr. (microfilm) National Library: 1890 – 1891 (microfilm) [1934: v.15 1936: v.17] (microfilm CS; AN.W25 Essex County Public: 1934: Dec. 6th - 1936: Dec. 31st (microfilm) Archives of Ontario: 1928: Feb. 9th; 1936: Aug. 6th, Aug. 13th None Windsor Public: 1934: Dec. 1936: Dec. (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: 1844: Oct. 12th Metro Toronto Library: Baldwin Room: 1843: Sept. 30th (v.1: no.17) Publishing in 1913 according to Vernon’s 1913/1914; published by Morrey Publishing Co. Ltd. At 29 Sandwich St. (ss. Walkerville) – behind the Wyandotte Hotel?; William H. Morrey: Vice President; Edward B. Morrey: Secretary, Treasurer, Manager; Jas. F. Morrey also worked for the company Established by S. Stephenson; edited and published by John E. Dobie; still publishing until at least 1913 (Vernon’s 1913/1914) at north side of Assumption, opposite Kildare Road; published by Herald Press Ltd.; in 1904 was run by H. M. Sharpe Publisher and manager: Charles Clark; address: 67 Lincoln Road. Western Herald Western Herald Western Herald And Farmers' Magazine Amherstburg Sandwich 1883?-1886? 1838: Jan.3rd – 1842? Weekly Weekly None 1838: Jan. 3rd 1842: Oct. 6th (microfilm CS; AN.W42) Established by C. H. Fuller and Thomas W. Leigh; N. A. Coste and his son D. A. Coste were also involved; only lasted a couple of years Windsor Public: 1838 - [1842] (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: [1838: Jan. 3rd - 1840: Mar. 14th]; 1840: no. 18, Dec. 2nd, Dec. 9th, Dec. 16th, Dec. 23rd; [1841: Mar. 31st - 1842: Oct. 6th] Metro Toronto Library: Baldwin Room: 1842: June 16th (v.5: no. 9) - June 23rd, July 18th, Oct. 15th Was still publishing June 18th, 1886; possibly owned by Solomon and Theodore Wigle of Kingsville; Mr. Robert Golden was briefly an employee; Essex Free Press: 1926: 04/30, p. 1: in 1886, Henry Beresford Gahan was editor for the late N. A. Coste Publisher: Henry C. Grant British Newspaper Library (London, England): 1838: Jan. 3rd (v.1: no.1) - 1839: Feb. 21st Archives of Ontario: 1839: May 2nd (paper); [1838 - 1842] (microfilm) University of Western Ontario: [1838: Jan. 3rd - 1842: Oct. 6th] (microfilm) Various other libraries have same microfilm holdings Western Mercury Western Mercury And Great Southwestern Railway Advocate Western Standard Western Standard And Western District General Advertiser Sandwich 1858? - 1859? Weekly None Sandwich 1843 - 1848? Weekly None Windsor's Community Museum: 1858: Feb. 18th, Feb. 25th, Mar. 25th, Apr. 15th Windsor's Community Museum: 1847: Sept. 18th National Library: 1858: Apr. 22nd; 1859: July 30th Township of Sandwich 1909 says it began in 1858 National Library: 1846: June 20th Issued by Col. Arthur Rankin; slogan: “Pro rege, lege, aris et focis” Archives of Ontario: 1848: Sept. 16th University of Western Ontario: 1846: Mar. 7th (v. 3: no. 40) Wheatley Journal Whizz - Bang Wheatley Leamington Ottawa 1900?-190? 1916: July 1st – 1916: Nov. 18th?; 1917: July Weekly Monthly None None Archives of Ontario: 1917: July (v. 1) Still publishing in 1904 - published in the interests of the 207th Battalion University of Western Ontario: 1917: July - only 1917: July appears to have been published in Leamington Canadian War Museum. Library: 1916: July 1st – 1916: Nov. 18th Ottawa Public: 1916: 1916: July 1st (no. 1) – 1916: Nov. 4th (no. 19) Hoover Institution on War, Revolution & Peace: 1917 Windsor Eclipse and Essex Advertiser Eclipse Essex Advertiser Windsor Herald Herald Windsor 1872 - 1880 Weekly Windsor Sandwich 1855: Jan. 6th - 1861 Weekly None 1855 - 1856 (microfilm; AN.W52) Windsor's Community Museum: 1872: Sept. 13th Windsor Public: [1855: Jan. 6th 1856: Dec. 26th] (microfilm) Windsor's Community Museum: [1855 - 1856]; 1857: Feb. 6th, Feb. 13th; 1858: Aug. 12th, Dec. 9th, Dec. 16th, Dec. 23rd; 1859: Mar. 17th; 1860: Dec. 27th; 1861: Jan. 11th, Jan. 18th, Aug. 9th (paper); [1855 - 1856] (microfilm) Windsor Herald Herald Windsor 1901:Dec. - 192? Weekly None Windsor Independent Independent Windsor 1891: Feb. 16th 1891? Weekly None Windsor Journal Windsor 186?-186? Weekly None Windsor Review Windsor 1878-1903 Weekly None Windsor Sentinel Windsor Standard Windsor Windsor 1891? - 1893? 1879? Weekly Semi-Weekly None None Windsor Standard Windsor 1902: Nov. 29th 190? Weekly/Daily None Archives of Ontario: 1878: Feb. 16th National Library: 1855: May 26th, June 2nd, June 30th, July 7th; 1857: May 9th, Oct. 30th; 1859: July 28th Archives of Ontario: 1855: Jan. 6th - 1856: Dec. 26th (microfilm) University of Western Ontario: 1856: Jan. 4th (v.2: no.1), Feb. 1st, Aug. 29th (paper); [1855 - 1856] (microfilm) Published by Joseph P. Conway; published every Friday in the Curry Block "Ever watchful over Commerce and Agriculture" Published every Saturday morning at 10 o'clock Founded by John McEwan; continued by his son James P. McEwan + others have same microfilm In 1860, the paper was purchased by Mr. Robinson and Mr. Wade – who moved the paper to Detroit (Township of Sandwich, 1909) National Library: 1891: Feb. 16th Was started by Whalley and Craig, the same people who owned the Windsor Review, at this time (Detroit Free Press 1901: Dec. 1st p.6); was published from the old Review office for a few months in 1901 (Evening Record 1904/01/23 p.7); was mentioned in the Border Cities Era in 1918: Oct. 19, p. 7; in 1918 was published by A. W. Jackson Only one issue published? Founded by James Woodbridge (of Sandwich); did not publish long; sold printing press (the “plant”) to P. G. Laurie of the Essex Record Established by Mr. Cliff; later purchased by T. M. White who ran it for many years; due to failing health he sold the paper to Mr. F. H. Macpherson who managed the paper until c.1898; it then changed hands many times and finally closed in 1903 (Evening Record 1904/01/23 p.7) Started by James McCallum Publishers: Murdoch and Neal; published Wednesdays and Saturdays; slogan: “Independent in everything, neutral in nothing” Established by Joseph McKee and Charles L. Barker who bought the “plant” from the Windsor Review when it closed?? On Dec. 15th, 1903, the paper became a daily under the editor: Mr. James Weir (of Hamilton) (Evening Record 1904/01/23 p. 7); the weekly version was published on Saturday at 22 Sandwich St. West; “Conservative party organ for Essex County” Windsor Star Windsor Daily Star Star Daily Star Windsor 1935: June 30th present Daily 1935 - present (microfilm; complete?; AN.W55) Windsor Public: current issues; 1935 - present (microfilm) Windsor Star Office: 1935 present Archives of Ontario: 1935: June 29th; 1936: May 16th, Dec. 31st; [1937: July 3rd - 1938: Dec. 3rd]; 1939: May 20th, June 8th; [1940]; 1941: Jan. 11th, Feb. 14th, Feb. 15th, Feb. 22nd, Aug. 9th; 1943: Feb. 27th; 1967: Feb. 13th Continues Border Cities Star Lambton County Public: [1940 1947]; 1953: May 22nd, May 23rd University of Western Ontario: [1893 - 1980] (microfilm) Various other libraries have misc. holdings Windsor Telegram Telegram Windsor 1922-1923? Daily? None Windsor Times Windsor 1891? - 1893 Weekly None Windsor World Windsor 1893 - 190? Daily/Weekly None Listed in Vernon’s 1922/1923; published by Windsor Telegram Publishing Co. Ltd.; “Popular evening paper serving the border municipalities and Essex County”; address: 127 Ferry St.; phone: 1420; William H. Adams: President and General Manager; Owner: Albert F. Healy (MP for area); in HC Debates, 1923, p. 2630 he says he invested $167,000 in the paper; mentions dispute with Canadian Press wire service. Published and edited by James McCallum Still publishing in 1904 (Evening Record 1904/01/23 p.7); established by James Dickinson; it published as a daily from 1893-1894; then as a weekly Sources: Amicus: Online Catalogue http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/amicus/ Detroit Free Press, 1831-1922 from ProQuest Historical Newspapers Gardner, H. W. (1913). Windsor, Ontario, 1913. Windsor: Evening Record. Leddy Rare Books & Special Collections: FC3099.W55 G27 1913 Gilchrist, J. Brian. (1987). Inventory of Ontario Newspapers, 1793 - 1986. Toronto: Micromedia. Leddy Reference: Z6954.C2 I57 Johnson, J. E. (1889). A Brief Sketch of the County of Essex in the Province of Ontario, Canada. Essex, Ontario: J. E. Johnson. http://www.archive.org/details/cihm_04418 McLaren, Duncan. (1973). Ontario Ethno-Cultural Newspapers, 1835 - 1972. Toronto: University of Toronto Press. Leddy Circulating Books: Z6954.C2 M3 Morrison, Neil F. (1954). Garden Gateway To Canada. Windsor: Herald Press, 1954. Leddy Book Collection: FC3095.E8 M67 Murray, Elsie McLeod. (1947). A Check-List of Early Newspaper Files Located in Local Newspaper Offices in Western Ontario. Leddy Circulating Books: F5460.L6W4 no. 12 Neal, Frederick. (1901). Township of Sandwich: Past and Present. Windsor: Frederick Neal. Leddy Rare Books & Special Collections: FC 3095.E8 N43 N. W. Ayer & Son's American Newspaper Annual: 1882 http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vols/loc.gdc.sr.sn91012091.00123398749/pageturner.html Original and Microfilmed Newspaper Collections in the Archives of Ontario (Dec. 2003) http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/guides/pdf/l23_newspapers.pdf T. F. Woods & Co.’s Canadian Newspaper Directory: 1876 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wjmartin/t_f_wood.htm University of Windsor Online Catalogue http://windsor.concat.ca/opac/en-CA/skin/uwin/xml/advanced.xml?l=106&d=1 Vernon’s City of Windsor Directories. Leddy Serials: FC3099.W55 A35 Vlodarchyk, Paul. Essex Free Press http://oldtimecorner.ca/archives/essex_free_press.html W. W. Butcher’s Canadian Newspaper Directory: 1886 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wjmartin/butchers.htm