Anne Frank- Act I Review
1. Characterized the following:
Mr. Van Daan
Mrs. Van Daan
2. Describe the setting of scene 1.
3. What Hanukkah gift does Mr. Frank find in scene 1?
4. How does the setting change from scene 1 to scene 2? What literary term can you use for this?
5. Why is Mrs. Van Daan nervous at the beginning of scene 2?
6. What is ironic about Mrs. Frank telling Miep that “It’s illegal, then, the ration books. We’ve never done anything illegal”?
7. What are the rules while in hiding?
8.Describe Anne and Peter’s first encounter. What do they talk about? What do they do?
9.Why does Mr. Frank tell Anne
10. How do each of the characters show that the stress of hiding is affecting them?
11.What story does Mrs. Van Daan share with Anne about her boyfriends?
12.Why does Mr. Frank think Anne is sick?
13. Even though Mrs Frank and Margot look away, why does Anne stare at Mr. & Mrs. Van Daan in awe? How does Mr. Van Daan react?
14.When Dussel arrives, what information does he share with the Franks?
15.How is Dussel different from the others in hiding?
16.How is Dussel’s description of the world outside the attic different than Mr. Kraler’s? Why?
17.How does Anne feel about her mom? Why?
18.By scene 5, how much time have the Van Daans and Franks been in hiding?
19.Why does Peter pretend to have the cat on Hanukkah?
20.How do Mr. and Mrs. Van Daan react?
21.Why does Mr. Frank tell Dussel to “be still”?
22.How do Dussel and Mr. Van Daan feel after Mr. Frank tells them there was a theif?
23.How does scene 5 end differently from all of the other scenes?