ENG III AP: MD Ch. 87-93 Discussion Questions
1) Many critics comment on Ch. 87 and its emerging maternal messages, which further humanize the whales. Why does Melville include this? How could it later relate to Ahab?
2) Continuing on the maternal motif, how does Ch. 88 further shed light on this? Discuss theme and relationship to Pequod.
3) Discuss the notions of possession as they are presented in Ch. 89.
4) What comment is made in Ch. 90 on royalty? How could this relate to
5) Messages from our most recent gam? (Other than pee-yew!)
6) “The Castaway” - sigh. Although you may not even realize it, this is by far our most important chapter in this reading. Discuss the entire chapter, culminating in the following:
“So man’s insanity is heaven’s sense; and wandering from all mortal reason, man comes at last to that celestial thought, which, to reason, is absurd and frantic; and weal or woe, feels then uncompromised, indifferent as his God” (454).