1. During which long term event was Rome a dangerous place?
2. How was Europe ruled at the beginning of the Middle Ages?
3. Why did Saint Patrick go to Ireland?
4. Who established Christianity among the Franks
5. Who were the most fearsome invaders during Charlemagne’s reign?
6. Why did many nobles become rulers of their own land?
7. List two responsibilities of a vassal toward a lord
8. Who brought feudalism to eastern Europe?
9. What Knights and serfs provide each other under feudalism?
Towns and Trade Grow
10. What two changes helped lead to a decline in feudalism?
Popes and kings rule Europe
11. Name two responsibilities as leader of the Christian Church
12. Why do you think people feared the Pope’s ability to excommunicate them?
Pop Fights for Power
14. What event cause a permanent split in the church?
Kings and Popes Clash
15. How did Pop Gregory respond to Henry IV’s(5 th
) attempt to remove him from power?
The church shapes Society and Politics
16. List two key events in a person’s life during the Middle Ages in which the local church was clearly involved
Monks and Friars
17. Why did monks of Cluny establish a new religious order?
18. How were the Dominicans and Franciscans different from the orders who lived in monasteries?
Universities are built
19. Why did Thomas Aquinas write about the existence of god?
The Church and the Arts
20. Why do you think so much of Medieval European art was made for the church?
Magna Carta causes change in England
21. What was the Magna Carta?
22. Who made up the original British Parliament?
The Hundred Years’ War
23. Why was Joan of Arc’s feat truly remarkable?
The Black Death
24. What is the estimated number of victims of the Black Death?
25. How did the Black Death ultimately benefit the survivors who lived on the manors?
The church Reacts to Challenges
26. What two things did some of the Christians feel that the clergy was more concerned with than God?
27. Who did Church officials send to find heretics?
Christians Fight The Moors
28. What was the Reconquista?
29. How many people in both Portugal and Spain died at the hands of the Spanish Inquistion?
Jews face Discrimination
30. Name two things that some Medieval Europeans blamed on the Jews