Poultry Industry Introduction Level II Production Systems Sustainable Food Poultry meat is the most environmentally efficient of all meat proteins Improvements in poultry production yields and efficiency have resulted in major environmental benefits and reduced some land use change impacts Poultry meat consumption contributes just 1% of total UK greenhouse gas emissions Soybean meal is the most nutritionally and environmentally efficient protein crop for inclusion in poultry feed and other livestock feeds globally. EMPLOYMENT in NI (DARD Statistical Review of NI Agriculture 2013) Poultry meat Processing 5200 Egg Packing & Processing 2 Farm Production (inc part time) 1500 Plus Ancillary Industries Ancillary Industries Haulage House and equipment manufacture Vet products Disinfectants Bedding materials Packaging maintenance Compound Feed Usage % in NI Sheep, 3.5 Other, 4 Pig, 7 Cattle, 51.5 Poultry, 34 Poultry meat The total volume of poultry meat production in 2013 was 3.9 percent higher than 2012 levels at 260,500 tonnes live weight. Broiler production was 5.7 per cent higher than 2012 levels at 244,000 tonnes live weight. Broiler producer prices were 6.9 percent higher than 2012 at 86 pence per kg. Overall, the market value of broilers was 13 per cent higher than 2012 values at £210 million. Broilers account for 81 per cent of the total market value of the poultry sector. Turkey production decreased in 2013, by 17 per cent, to 13,200 tonnes live weight The value of output from the poultry sector in 2013 was 6.8 percent higher than 2012, at £257 million. (DARD Statistical Review of NI Agriculture 2013) Eggs Packing station throughput of graded eggs was estimated at 88 million dozen eggs in 2013. This was a rise of 9.9 per cent on 2012 levels. The proportion of throughput attributed to free range management systems increased from 51 per cent in 2012 to 53 per cent in 2013 with the remaining 47 per cent of eggs originating from intensively managed systems. The average producer price of eggs decreased, by 7.3 per cent to 75 pence per dozen. The overall value of egg output therefore increased, by 2.2 per cent, to £67 million (this figure includes eggs for processing, unrecorded sales for human consumption and duck eggs). (DARD Statistical Review of NI Agriculture 2013) Broilers Layer Turkey EU Poultry Industry In 2006, the UK became the biggest producer of poultry meat in the EU The other major poultry meat producers are: France (2nd), Spain (3rd), Germany, Italy, Netherlands France is the largest egg producer in the EU. The other major egg producers are: Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, UK ADAPTABILITY OF POULTRY ON A WORLD BASIS • No prohibition by Jewish or Islamic law • Suits warm climates • Doesn’t require forage • Small units of production suit subsistence farming in poor countries e.g. Africa, Indonesia Types of commercial poultry sites in NI Grandparent broiler (rearing & laying) Parent broiler (rearing & laying) Broiler production – standard, indoor with higher welfare – ‘select’, free range, organic. Parent turkey Turkey production Table egg production (rearing & laying) Duck rearing and breeding Types of Poultry Enterprise Table Egg Production – Rearing phase (0-17 weeks) – Laying phase (17-80 weeks) Broiler Chicken Rearing – Rearing from day old chick stage to finished slaughter age (normally 5-10 weeks of age) Hatching Egg Production – Rearing phase then laying phase to produce eggs for hatching to become: – Table egg laying hens – Broiler grower chickens – Broiler parent stock • Turkey Production • Geese Production • Duck Production Other commercial poultry species: • Guinea fowl • Quail • Pheasant • Ostrich Industry Pressures Integrated Pollution Prevention Control (IPPC) Disposal / utilisation of litter and manure (N & P) Increased external training requirements year on year (CAFRE) Planning permission Bank loans and grants for new poultry houses and equipment Disease risk Insurance More practical research Future of Industry The industry may require 400 more broiler and breeder houses within next two years to meet demand. - Increase within egg industry with approximately 30 FR and 20 barn laying sites over next two years. Requirement for trained staff. 150 broiler farms averaging 60,000/farm 100 breeding farms averaging 16,000/farm Five Freedoms Freedom from hunger and thirst- by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour. Freedom from discomfort- by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area. Freedom from pain, injury or disease- by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment. Freedom to express normal behaviour- by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind. Freedom from fear and distress- by ensuring conditions and care which avoid mental suffering.