Can I analyze the effect of imagery in poetry?
GET OUT A PIECE OF PAPER LABEL THE TITLE, DATE, AND LO.
. LOG IN.
When you are finished, make sure your vocabulary homework is complete!
Pair Share filled in.
Make sure you have all the terms
1 2 4 3 5 Haters gonna hate, but it doesn’t matter. I won’t listen to it.
I have self-confidence and act like I have money, and if you don’t like it, oh well.
Like things in nature, she will always rise up.
Did you want to see me broken down and feeling bad about myself?
Are you offended by the fact that I can laugh off when you try to offend me?
6 7 8 9 You can do anything horrible to me, and it won’t affect me.
I take pride in being a woman, and therefore I don’t care if it makes you mad.
I am comfortable in my black skin and my history of slavery, perhaps where she lived?
I won’t let the past scare me, and I will live in the present.
I will remember what my ancestors have done and make them proud.
“Still I Rise” TPCASTT Doc Cam
• Analyze the figures of speech and sound effects of the poem.
• These are the poetry vocabulary we have already or will study.
• These elements add to the meaning.
Rhyme Scheme Roses are red Violets are blue Candy is sweet And so are you.
A B C B
Roses are red Charcoal is black Why is your chest As flat as your back?
A B C B
• You will be put into 9 groups. • Each group gets a stanza.
• Analyze your stanza for imagery, filling out the worksheet.
• When you are finished, get it checked.
• You will be presenting this to the class.
• Create a picture that showcases your stanza.
Biography: Maya Angelou • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyHqafC740Q
of the speaker toward the subject of the poem.
• Is there a change in… – Time – Tone – Speaker This should always be noted as this will also affect the meaning .
• At this time, you should reconsider the title.
• Were you right in your predictions?
• What other meanings might the title have in light of your analysis?
• Next, the biggie….
• As you already know, theme is the general insight into life conveyed by the author through his/her work.
• It does
make a judgment.
How do I find the
• Look at the other parts of TPCASTT.
• What insight are all of these working together to convey?
• What is the poet trying to say about life?
HOMEWORK: Due Tuesday • “Still I Rise” TPCASTT • Quiz: Poetic Terms on Tuesday!
OER: How is imagery used in “Still I Rise”?
Label your paper like this:
Poetry Appreciation: • • Go to the website
http://www.poemhunter.com/ Read 3 poems. Fill out the grid below:
THURSDAY/FRIDAY Student Survey