M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION - ZOOLOGY
THIRD SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
Date : 08/11/2012
BT 3901 - MEDICAL MICROBIOLOGY
Time : 9:00 - 12:00
Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A (20 marks)
Answer all the questions
(5x1=5 marks) I. Choose the Correct answer:
1. Name the person who introduced the term ‘Chemotherapy’:
a) Jenner b) Lister c) Ehrlich d) Metchnikoff
2. Statement A: Lecithinase is also called as spreading factor.
Statement B. This enzyme causes the dissolution of hyaluronic acid. a) Statement A is correct, but statement B is incorrect b) Statement B is correct, but statement A is incorrect c) Both A and B are correct d) Both A and B are incorrect
3. Name the fungal, antifungal antibiotic from the following:
a) Griseofulvin b) Polymyxin c) Cephalosporin d) Streptomycin
4. Match A) Gonorhoea B) Diphtheria C) Typhoid D) Syphilis with
i) Salmonella ii) Neisseria iii) Treponema iv) Corynebacterium
a) A- ii, B-i, C-iii, D-iv
b) A- ii, B-iii, C-iv, D-i
c) A- ii, B-iv, C-i, D-iii
d) A- ii, B-iv, C-iii, D-i
5. Pick the odd one out based on the causal organism:
a) Tetanus b) Poliomyelitis c) Meningitis d) Anthrax
II State whether the following are true or false; If false, give reason: (5x1=5 marks)
6. Disinfectant is a chemical used on inaminate objects.
7. Endotoxins are released outside the bacterial cells and they are thermolabile.
8. Interferons are antibacterial agents produced in response to an infection.
9. The causal organism of Trichomoniasis is a protozoan.
10. Malaria is transmitted by Aedes mosquito which acts as a vector.
III Complete the following: (5x1=5marks)
11. _______________ is the method of sterilization using gaseous chemosterilizers and an example is_________.
12. ___________ flora occurs permanently in our body while _______ flora remains only for a short time.
13. When _________ are introduced in the host resulting in the production of antibodies, the type of immunity is said to be ______________ immunity
14. Histoplasmosis is caused by _________ _________.
15. __________ of Bacillus anthracis are used as ________.
IV Answer the following, each within 50 words only
16. Distinguish between antiseptic and disinfectant.
17. Mention the role of normal flora of vagina.
18. Write down any two characteristics of chemotherapeutic agents.
19. What is the morphology and flagellation of Typhoid causing organism?
20. Write two points about mad cow disease.
PART – B (5x8= 40 marks)
Answer the following each within 500 words only; Draw diagrams wherever necessary:
21. a) Write about the methods of control of microbes using moist and dry heat.
b) Write down any ten characteristics of an ideal chemical agent used in the control of microbes. Add a note on Alcohols.
22. a) Enumerate the seven capabilities of a pathogen. Elaborate on any two of them.
b) What are exotoxins? How do they differ from endotoxins.
23. a) Give an account of complement fixation test.What are their applications?
b) What are antibiotics? In the form of a tabular column,write about the source, group,
spectrum of activity and mode of action of any three antibiotics.
24. a) Explain the symptoms, treatment and control of Cholera.
b) Bring out the difference between Gonorrhoea and Syphilis based on causal organism,
morphology and symptoms.
25. a) Describe the causal organism of Poliomyelitis. Write about its symptoms and prevention.
b) Describe the different types of Anthrax.
Answer any TWO of the following, each within 1500 words only. Draw diagrams wherever necessary. (2x20= 40 marks)
26. Describe effectiveness of the following in the control of microbes:
a. radiation b. filtration c.heavy metals d.halogens
27. Give an outline of immunity. Write about phagocytosis and inflammation.
28. Discuss the causal organism, symptoms, lab diagnosis, treatment and prevention of
29. Describe the ultrastructure of HIV. Write about the mode of transmission ,symptoms and
control measures of AIDS.