REDWOODS COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT Meeting of the Multicultural and Diversity Committee 3:00 PM

Meeting of the
Multicultural and Diversity Committee
• Eureka: 7351 Tompkins Hill Road, SS 202 (Board Room)
Friday, February 5, 2016
3:00 PM
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order at 3:02 PM.
Introductions and Public Comment: Members of the audience are invited to make
comments regarding any subject appropriate to the Academic Standards and Policies
There were no public comments.
Approval of the Minutes of February 5, 2015 (Attachment)
The minutes were approved after Kristy Carlsen added that she also had distributed
resource posters in the Humanities building.
Action Items:
No Action
There were no actions items.
Discussion Items
Multicultural Heritage Calendar, Deanna Herrera-Thomas
Deanna Herrera-Thomas stated that there were some minor issues with the
online Heritage Calendar and that she would contact Jesse Wiedel to correct
those problems.
Multicultural and Diversity Committee Web Page, Deanna Herrera-Thomas
Deanna Herrera-Thomas reported on the status of the revision to the MDC
resource web page. She noted that she would contact Justine Shaw, who
created the first MDC web page, to solicit her input in the update. Deanna
Herrera-Thomas also observe that additional content should be included in the
Academic Senate’s MDC web page and requested that MDC members provide
information for the different sections that are currently undeveloped.
EEOAC Will There Be a Meeting and When? Brainstorm Ideas to Support the
WEHP, Deanna Herrera-Thomas
Deanna Herrera-Thomas reported that the next EEOAC meeting has not been
scheduled yet; however, last year the EEOAC responded to all of the prior
recommendations that the MDC had made. She reminded MDC members that
the committee needs to provide recommendations to the EEOAC, and asked
members to begin formulating their suggestions. She offered that the MDC
could ask the EEOAC to report on its response to its prior recommendations.
Dana Mayer commented that, in particular, the college needed to followthrough more completely with the creation of a space for nursing mothers on
campus. Sean Herrera-Thomas suggested that the MDC ask for a report on the
placement of signs and distribution of information about the gender-neutral
restrooms on campus.
Event Planning for Women’s History Month, Black History Month, Mental
Health Awareness Month, and the Screening of Arab America, Deanna HerreraThomas
Deanna Herrera-Thomas reported that CR will host screenings of Tough Guys II
and The Hunting Ground in March. There was some discussion about the best
way to advertise upcoming events. Kristy Carlsen suggested that one poster
announcing all the events would be advantageous, owing to the numerous
separate posters adorning the campus currently. Deanna Herrera-Thomas
suggested that we might try that for the fall semester. Kristy Carlsen suggested
that the MDC establish a timeline with deadlines for scheduling. Deanna
Herrera-Thomas stated any activities tied to Student Equity Plan goals could be
eligible for funding through the SEP committee. Dana Maher reported that she
was contacted by a student who wants to establish a discussion forum for
students of color, and that our current processes are unclear for funding
student-driven events that do not arise from an existing club or organization
structure on campus. There was discussion about this concern on campus. The
ASCR Diversity Representative offered to help students with the club charter
process. Deanna Herrera-Thomas stated that Jacqui Cain is planning events for
Black History Month. Kristy Carlsen shared her plans for activities for Mental
Health month in April.
Multicultural Center
Deanna Herrera-Thomas reported that the Multicultural Center is on the SEP
committee agenda and that CR was making renewed progress in this effort.
Developing a System Plan for Serving Disenfranchised Students (Attachment)
Deanna Herrera-Thomas noted that the Senate Rostrum includes an article
about this serving disenfranchised students, including effective hiring practices
to diversify faculty. She commented on the need to report on these issues at
CR’s Academic Senate meetings and identified equity issues in distance
education as one important topic to consider, among others. She suggested
that the MDC could be involved in recommending to the Senate ways to
support underrepresented students.
Announcements/Open Forum.
Public Notice—Nondiscrimination:
College of the Redwoods does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, color or
disability in any of its programs or activities. College of the Redwoods is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for
persons with disabilities. Upon request this publication will be made available in alternate formats. Please contact Debbie
Williams, Academic Senate Support, 7351 Tompkins Hill Road, Eureka, CA 95501, (707) 476-4259, Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00
p.m. Monday through Thursday; 10 am to 5 pm on Friday.
Next Meeting:
March 4