Lab Equipment & Safety
• • SCSh2. Students will use standard safety practices for all classroom laboratory & field investigations.
SCSh4. Students use tools & instruments for observing, measuring, & manipulating scientific equipment & materials
• Magnifying Glass (A) • Dissecting Pan (B) • Dissecting Pins (C) • Forceps (D)
• Scissors (E) • Probe (F) • Scalpel (G) • Safety Goggles (H)
• Triple Beam Balance (I) • Graduated Cylinder (J) • Test Tube (K) • Beaker (L)
• Test Tube Rack (M) • Hot Plate (N) • Dropper (O) • Thermometer (P)
• Microscope (Q) • Slide (R) • Cover Slip (S) • Petri Dish (T)
• Funnel (V) • Meter Stick (W)
Biology Prefixes Prefix A Aero An Anti Auto Bactero Bi Meaning
not air without against self bacteria two
Biology Prefixes Prefix Bio Carb Chloro Co Cyto Di Endo Meaning
life carbon color with cell two in
Biology Prefixes Prefix Eu Exo Gamo Geo Hetero Homo Hyper Meaning
good/well out egg earth different same over
Biology Prefixes Prefix Hypo Iso Lip Meaning
under equal fat
Quiz – Set 1: Tuesday, 8/11/15
Biology Prefixes Prefix Lyso Macro Meso Micro Mono Omni Phago Meaning
loosen/dissolve large middle one millionth one all eating
Biology Prefixes Prefix Photo Poly Pro Semi Syn Tri Uni Meaning
light many in favor of/for half together three one
Biology Prefixes Suffix -ase -ic -lysis -ology -ose -phage -phase Meaning
enzyme characterize by break apart study sugar eater stage
Biology Prefixes Suffix -pod -stasis -troph Meaning
foot stop nourish
Quiz – Set 2: Thursday, 8/13/15
Steps to Focusing a Microscope
1. Begin with the stage as low as it will go and the low power objective selected.
2. Looking through the eyepiece, use the coarse adjustment to bring the field of view into focus.
3. Change to the high power objective using the revolving nosepiece, and use the fine adjustment to bring the field of view into focus.