“PROMETHEUS AND PANDORA”
& CREATION STORIES
November 18, 2014
READER’S THEATRE FOR “PROMETHEUS AND
• ACTORS: Give us your best performance!
• AUDIENCE MEMBERS: Enjoy the performance and take notes of important quotes from the story.
You will write an analytic response paragraph about this story at the conclusion of our performance. Pay attention!
“HOW THE WORLD AND MANKIND WERE
CREATED” IN HAMILTON’S MYTHOLOGY
• In Edith Hamilton’s Mythology, read Chapter III
(“How the World and Mankind Were Created”) from page 76-93.
• When you finish reading, your group will discuss the prompt for your analytic response paragraph.
• Then, you will start writing your analytic response paragraph INDEPENDENTLY.
• If you do not finish, it is homework.
ANALYTIC RESPONSE PARAGRAPH
• After reading “Prometheus and Pandora,” respond to the following prompt using a main claim, evidence to support your claim with at least two direct quotes, and commentary to warrant how your evidence proves your claims.
• Do not use 2 nd person (“you”) in this paragraph because your response should have a formal academic tone.
• Your response paragraph is worth 25 points.
PROMPT: What is the purpose of the myth of Prometheus and Pandora? Be specific with your response and defend your claims with direct quotes from the text.
You will be evaluated on the following components:
/ 5 Clarity of claim
/ 5 Use of direct quotes
/ 5 Use of commentary
/ 5 Maintains a formal academic tone
/ 5 Mastery of the English Language (Grammar and Mechanics)
TOTAL: / 25 points
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS & PROMPT FOR THE
• What is the purpose of the myth of Prometheus and
Pandora? Be specific with your response and defend your claims with direct quotes from the text.
• What does this myth reveal about the Greek gods and goddesses?
• What does this myth reveal about Greek culture?
• How does this myth relate to other Creation stories?
• Write your Analytic Response paragraph due tomorrow.
• There is no preparation for Word Wednesday.
• HONORS – Keep reading your book and working on your responses due December 1 st .