P a g e
KHS HONOR CODE PLEDGE: __________________________________________ DATE: ______________
AN OVERVIEW OF US FOREIGN POLICY FROM 1796 – THE PRESENT
1. Title Frame
2. Briefly describe the theme of George
Washington’s “Farewell Address.”
3. Define isolationism. Was George
Washington’s “Farewell Address” an isolationist speech? If so, in what manner was it isolationist?
4. What was the Monroe Doctrine? Describe what it demanded of European Nations. What did Americans pledge to do in exchange?
5. Why did Secretary of State William Seward purchase Alaska in 1867? What type of a foreign policy initiative was this? Why?
6. What was the theme of Admiral Alfred Thayer
Mahan’s The Influence of Sea Power Upon
History? What influential leader read it an believed it was good policy?
7. How did the United State acquire Hawaii?
What kind of a foreign policy was followed in this instance by President William McKinley?
NOTES or Answers to Questions:
An Overview of US Foreign Policies, 1796 – the
P a g e
8. Define the term Sphere of Influence. Why did the United States seek the Open Door Policy in
9. Define the term imperialism and provide at least two examples of imperialism in American history.
10. Who were anti-imperialists? Why did they opposed territorial expansion as it was taking place in American history?
11. What did the Roosevelt Corollary state?
What part of the world did the foreign policy pronouncement apply to?
12. Define “Big Stick” diplomacy as Theodore
Roosevelt described it in the early 20 th
13. What is the most representative example of
“Big Stick” diplomacy in action? Why was this an important event in American history?
14. Define and give an example of Dollar
Diplomacy in American History. Which US
President was the author of this style of foreign policy?
P a g e
15. What was the premise of Woodrow Wilson’s so-called Moral Diplomacy?
16. Define the term intervention and provide at least three examples of foreign policy interventions on the part of the United States of
17. How successful was Woodrow Wilson’s decision to intervene in World War I and to help negotiate a peace treaty to end the war based on his 14 Point Plan for Peace in Europe?
18. What did the United States accomplish during the course of World War II? What type of an intervention was the Second World War?
19. What was the nature of the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union?
What tactics did the United States use during the war? Did the US win the Cold War?
20. What is the most pressing challenge of the
United States in terms for foreign policy – excluding the possibility of renewed conflict with the Russians?
What methods has the US used to win this war?