Do you want me to diffuse?
REVIEW FROM LAST CLASS, PG 74-75
Tonicity refers to the strength of solution in relationship to osmosis.
3 terms to know:
The strength of solution will determine the direction water will move!
• iso = “the same” & tonic = “solution”
• concentration of solute outside cell is the same as the solute concentration in the cell
• water moves into cell at equal rate to water moving out
• cell stays the same, is at
HYPOTONIC SOLUTIONS hypo = “lower”
• solute concentration OUTSIDE cell = LOWER
More water outside cell
• cell swells
–bursting may occur in animal cells
builds up in plant cells
Vacuole pushes outwards against cell wall
HYPERTONIC SOLUTIONS hyper= “ higher”
• solute concentration outside cell is higher
• water concentration is lower outside cell
• net movement of water
occurs in animal cells
occurs in plant cells
A) B) C)
D) E) F)
How can we get this ring off?
Work on the critical thinking Qs using the tonicity vocab to EXPLAIN…
Present your Cell Membrane Model to me
Prepare for CHECKPOINT NEXT CLASS on:
Cell Membrane, Diffusion, Osmosis