Biology Reading Notes Outline Name:______________________________
Chapter 10: Cell Growth and Division Period: _________ Date: ____________
Read Chapter 10. As you do so, take notes on the following topics on a separate piece of notebook paper. You will have to study these for tests, so do not just “answer” the topic questions below- write out the info in an outline format that contains the detail needed to understand what the topic is and what it means. Leave space between each topic so you can add to the notes during in-class lectures.
1. What are the two main reasons that cells divide?
2. Explain what “information overload” means to cells and why it limits cell size.
3. Explain how the exchange of materials in cells creates the need for cells to divide.
4. Explain the relationship between
a. How is this ratio important to cell size? b. What is the equation for surface area? For volume?
5. What is
6. Describe specific characteristics of
types of cell division/reproduction:. Asexual and
7. Explain advantages and disadvantages of asexual and sexual reproduction.
1. What are
a. Describe prokaryotic chromosomes. b. Describe eukaryotic chromosomes.
1. How many chromosomes do humans cells have?
2. What is
2. Why are chromosomes so important to cell division?
3. What are the four phases of the
eukaryotic cell cycle
? a. List and describe the three stages of
. b. What phase follows interphase?
4. What are the two main stages that involve
5. Briefly describe what is happening in each stage of Mitosis.
6. Briefly describe what is happening in Cytokinesis. a. Discuss the differences in cytokinesis between animal cells and plant cells
1. What are
and how is the cell cycle regulated? a. Describe internal and external regulators.
2. What is
and how is it important in growth/development of plants/animals?
3. What is
and what happens with regulatory signals as they pertain to cancer cells?
4. What is a
? a. Describe the difference between
1. What is
and what does it mean for a developing organism?
2. What are
3. Discuss the differences between
embryonic stem cells
adult stem cells
. a. In what ways can each of these types of cells be used?
4. Differentiate between the following words:
totipotent, pluripotent, multipotent
5. What are some potential benefits of using stem cells?
6. Why is the use of human embryonic stem cells controversial?