Name Date Period Selection Outline
Directions Fill in the outline below. Filling in the blanks will help you as you read and study
“ Th e Lottery.”
I. Beginning of the Selection (pp. 233–235)
A. Gathering for the Lottery
1. The lottery is held at ten o’clock and lasts less than ___________ hours.
2. Billy ___________ has already stuffed his pockets full of stones.
a. The boys choose the ___________ and roundest stones.
3. The women greet each other and exchange bits of ___________ as they join their husbands.
B. The Black Box
1. Mr. ___________ conducts the lottery.
2. Mr. Graves places a ___________ in the center of the square.
3. Old Man Warner is the ___________ man in town.
4. The black box is ___________ badly and in some places faded or stained.
5. Mr. Martin and ___________ hold the box while Mr. Summers stirs the papers.
6. The box is stored in different places each year—in Mr. Graves’s ___________, in the post office, or on a shelf in Martin’s grocery.
II. Middle of the Selection (pp. 235–240)
A. The Rules
1. The ___________ swears in Mr. Summers as the official of the lottery.
2. Now the ___________ speaks to each person approaching.
3. Mrs. ___________ comes in late because she forgot what day it is.
4. Clyde ___________ is missing, so Janey, his wife, will draw for him.
5. ___________ will draw for himself and his mother.
© Pearson AGS Globe. Permission is granted to reproduce for classroom use only.