Coroner: Water Overdose Killed H.S. Football Player The Bakersfield Christian High School player who died after football practice died of a water overdose, the coroner reported Thursday. Patrick Allen was 17 when he died Aug. 16. The cause of death was "complications of electrolyte imbalance including hyponatremia due to excess liquid ingestion during marked physical exertion," the coroner said. Mayo Clinic online describes hyponatremia this way: "When your blood sodium is too low, your cells malfunction - causing swelling. In chronic hyponatremia, sodium levels drop gradually over several days or weeks - and symptoms are typically moderate. In acute hyponatremia, sodium levels drop rapidly resulting in potentially dangerous effects, such as rapid brain swelling, which can result in coma and death. "Hyponatremia occurs when the sodium in your blood is diluted by excess water. Hyponatremia may result from medical conditions that impair excretion of water from your body, or by a significant increase in water consumption, such as by athletes competing in marathons and other high-endurance events." The entire Coroner's news release follows: CAUSE OF DEATH FOR FOOTBALL PLAYER NEWS RELEASE KERN COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE CORONER DIVISION This news release is prepared under the direction of the Sheriff-Coroner-Public Administrator for the convenience of news reporters. Facts concerning news events of major importance, which occur after the preparation of this release, will be made available to reporters at their request as soon as it is possible to do. DECEDENT'S NAME: Patrick Allen CASE #: C-1818-08 CITY OF RESIDENCE: Bakersfield, CA AGE: 17 Years TYPE OF CASE: Accident DATE OF INCIDENT: 08/14/2008 TIME: Unknown LOCATION: Residence DATE OF DEATH: 08/16/2008 TIME: 0925 PLACE OF DEATH: Mercy Southwest Hospital INVESTIGATING AGENCY: None Details: Upon completion of extensive toxicology studies and review of medical records, the cause of death was determined to be due to complications of electrolyte imbalance including hyponatremia due to excess liquid ingestion during marked physical exertion. Comments: DONNY YOUNGBLOOD, Sheriff-Coroner By: Dawn Ratliff, Deputy Coroner Date: Thursday, August 28, 2008 Time: 2:31:02 PM Copyright 2008 Newport Television LLC All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.