Labour and Social Security Law
The course aims to provide students with a solid grounding in current labour and social security law as well as clear understanding of the dynamics in connection with labour and industrial relations.
At the end of the course students will be able to find their way around labour and social security legislation and resolve some basic legal issues that can arise within the context of managing labour and social security relations.
The course will cover the following topics.
– The work in the Constitution and international sources.
– The employment contract and its features.
– Trade unions, collective bargaining, employee representation and strikes.
– Active labour policies and services. Outsourcing.
– Employment contracts: job description, grade and levels. Place of work.
– Obligations of employers and employees. The employer’s powers.
– Individual and collective dismissals. Protection of employees’ rights.
– The historical evolution of the welfare state. The welfare state in the
– The two pillars of the welfare state: social security and social assistance.
– Industrial accident insurance, disability and old age insurance, unemployment insurance and other income support measures.
– Health care: the National Health Service and the reform of social assistance in
Law No. 328/2000.
The following textbooks are recommended in studying for the exam:
V ARESI -A.
T URSI , Istituzioni di diritto del lavoro. Rapporti di lavoro e relazioni sindacali nel settore privato, Cedam, Padua, 2013.
P ERSIANI , Diritto della previdenza sociale, Cedam, Padova, 2012.
Students must also read five essays of their choice from among those contained in the first part of M.
N APOLI , Diritto del lavoro. In trasformazione (2010-2014), Giappichelli, Turin,
It is also recommended that students use an up-to-date version of the Civil Code during the lectures, for example, D.
), Codice del lavoro. I codici tascabili, Maggioli,
Rimini, 2014; L.
C IARDINI -F.
D EL G IUDICE -F.
I ZZO ( EDS .), Codice del lavoro. Editio Minor, XVI edition, Edizione Giuridiche Simone, 2014 (18 th ed.).
It is envisaged that additional material will be made available on Blackboard.
Lectures, including discussion and resolution of practical cases.
Students attending lectures need not read the aforementioned essays in M.
N APOLI , Diritto del lavoro. In trasformazione (2010-2014), Giappichelli, Torino, 2014.
Further information can be found on the lecturer's webpage at http://docenti.unicatt.it/web/searchByName.do?language=ENG or on the Faculty notice board.