1.Answer the following questions according to the text.
• How many stages have the mobile communications industry went through, and what are they?
——Three stages: analogue, digital and multimedia.
• What is the fundamental of the Third Generation (3G)?
• Try to give some examples of packet-switching.
——TCP/IP, X.25, Frame Relay, ATM, etc.
• What are the primary features of 3G?
——3G has the following features: Packet everywhere,
Internet everywhere, High Speed, New and better
2.Translate the following phrases and expressions.
——broadband wireless communication
• traditional fixed-wire networks
• digital mobile phone systems
• to provide high-speed mobile access to Internet-based services
• desktop computers
——be downloaded to the mobile devices
——packet switching and circuit switching
• Asynchronous Transfer Mode
3.Choose the best answer.
• The GSM system is based on a cellular as a concept in the 1940s by Bell System engineers in the US.
A. who B. which C. what
• Digital mobile phone systems added fax, data and in many countries.
A. as well as B. similar to C. to
A. GPRS B. CDPD C. CDMA
• These are all derivatives of the World Wide Web interest.
A. on B. at C. by
• The fixed telephone service is global and the fiber and satellite.
A. varies B. operates C. begins
4.Judge true or false according to the text.
• Digital mobile phone systems add high speed data
• With Third Generation (3G), emails, multimedia attachments and other data will simply be downloaded
• Circuit switched data formats are much more common
• One of the most important application for packet data
• The quality that the call is being made determines the
5.Translate the following sentences into English.
——In order to fit in with the needs of a great quantity of data transmitting through 3G network, it’s necessary to expand information capability or bandwidth of radio communication technology.
——The mobile communication industry has evolved in three stages: analogue, digital and multimedia.
——The new generation of broadband wireless communication based on 3G technology has some features such as high speed, Internet everywhere, etc.
• the next generation of broadband wireless communication
——mobile phone, mobile device, mobile terminal
• analogue cellular
• CDMA (Code Division Multiple Address)
• radio communication technology
• mobile access to Internet-based services
• electronic commerce (e-commerce)
• desktop computer
• dial up
• integrate wireless network
• fixed-wire network
• packet switching
• circuit switching
• jigsaw puzzle
——get jumbled up
• TCP (Transfer Control Protocol)
• IP ( Internet Protocol)
• Frame Relay
• ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode)
• CDPD (cellular Digital Packet Data)
• PDCP (Personal Digital Cellular Packet)
General Packet Radio Service)
• WWW (World Wide Web)
• information collection
• web browsing
• packet data
• Mbps (Megabits per second)
• data transmission rate
• file transfer to Home Automation
• be divided into…
——The image that the puzzle represents is divided into pieces at the manufacturing factory and put into a plastic bag.
• connect with…
——People access intranet for accessing company information and connecting with colleagues.
• away from
——There is a trend away from storing information locally on PCs to remotely on the Internet.
• most of all
——To prepare for the future job, most of all, you must study hard.
• all the time
——You can have the Internet at your fingertips all the time through 3G.
• get ready for…
——We should get ready for a new world of speed, knowledge and convenience.
• The next generation of broadband wireless communication, based on Third Generation or “3G” technology, is changing our lives.
• Three generations of mobile phones have emerged so far, each successive generation more reliable and flexible than the last.
• Multimedia services add high speed data transfer to mobile devices, allowing new video, audio, and other applications through mobile phones.
• We’ll expect high-speed access to the Internet, entertainment, information and electronic commerce services wherever we are.
• Information will simply be downloaded to their mobile devices as soon as it is sent or requested.
• The shift to 3G services is causing a revolution in the underlying telecommunications system as phone companies embrace the Internet and further integrate wireless and traditional fixed-wire networks.
• With 3G, the information is split into separate but related packets before being transmitted and reassembled at the receiving end.
• Packet switched data formats are much more common than their circuit switched counterparts.
• X.25 is the international public access packet radio data network standard.
• There is a trend away from storing information locally in specific software packages on PCs to remotely on the Internet.
• The data transmission rates will depend upon the environment the call is being made in——it is only indoors and in stationary environments that these types of data rates will be available.
• Three Generation facilitates several new applications that have not previously been readily available over mobile networks due to the limitations in data transmission speeds.