What is quality?
What is there in existence to manage quality
How do they relate to each other
Intrinsic quality of fish (taste, smell and texture); safety; spoilage/ freshness; grading; packaging; nutritional; authenticity; shelf life, etc.
Administrative systems; customer relations; promotion; delivery commitments; invoicing and payment, etc.
Waste management; noise pollution; odours; pollutants, etc.
How to manage technical quality
Quality Control (QC)
All the activities and functions concerned with the attainment of quality in a company including safety
Other terms include
– Quality Management Programme (QMP)
– Quality Management System (QMS)
– Total Quality Management (TQM) ??
International Standards Organization
1 rue de Varembé
Case Postale 56
1211 Genève 20
The vast majority of ISO standards are highly specific to a particular product, material, or process. However, both ISO 9000 and ISO
14000 are known as generic management
ISO 9000 -
ISO 9000 is primarily concerned with "quality management”
ISO 14000 -
ISO 14000 is primarily concerned with "environmental management"
ISO 9001 Quality systems - Model for quality assurance in design/ development, production, installation and servicing
ISO 9002 Quality systems - Model for quality assurance in production and installation.
The operational techniques and activities that are used to fulfil quality requirements.
• an important subset of the quality assurance system active process that monitors and, if necessary, modifies the production system so as to consistently achieve the required quality
A systematic approach to the identification, evaluation, and control of food safety hazards
Ensures food safety
An approach that builds upon good manufacturing practice
Legislated in many countries
“..those procedures for a particular manufacturing operation which practitioners of, and experts in, that operation consider to be the best available using current knowledge.”
Now mostly associated with hygiene/sanitation
– SSOP (Standard Sanitary Operating Procedures) but also other company functions
– storage practices, incoming material, equipment maintenance, cold store management, etc.
COMPANY QUALITY ASSURANCE