School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
• Les Brown
– Front Desk Enquiries, first point of contact
• Kristy Guia
– Student Service Officer
• Julijana Baric
– Administration Manager
• Our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please don’t send emails to individual people
– Degree + Disciplinary stream, eg:
• Master of Engineering Studies 8538
• Graduate Diploma of Engineering Science 5338
– Disciplinary stream or Plan, eg:
• Geotechnical Engineering
– or subject, eg:
• CVEN9707, Contracts Management
• Most of the information you need can be found from the school or UNSW websites
>Program and specialisation rules
>Detailed information about all programs and courses
> UNSW Moodle, via http://moodle.telt.unsw.edu.au/
– This is your UNSW contact address, check it regularly!
• Important general information from the
School and UNSW
• When you contact us, provide:
– Your name and student ID
– Your specialisation/plan
• Electives related to your Specialisation
• 6 and 12 UoC projects..enroll via Les Brown
• Non-CVEN courses
– Very limited & require approval before can be counted.
Water, Wastewater and Waste
• Enrolment is completed through myUNSW website
– You are to manage your own timetable and enrolment
• Enrol in compulsory courses first
• Note the different modes of course delivery
– Normal mode, distance mode, block format
– Find details on timetable
• 5pm 9 March:
– Last day to add a new course
• 5pm 31 March:
– Census date, withdraw without penalty, no costs
• 5pm 20 April:
– Withdraw without academic penalty, lost $.
• After that, try to withdraw without failure, give reasons ….
– See form on MyUNSW
• Information about eligibility and process: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/SpecialConsideration.html
• You must apply for SC as soon as practicable and within three working days of the assessment
• You must provide supporting documents
• You need to submit original documents
• Application must be made via Online Services
- In myUNSW
Go to My Student Profile tab > My Student Services channel > Online Services > Special
• Must be submitted to UNSW Student Central
• Each lecturer is different
– See course profile
• Choose group members for assignments carefully
• Assignment submission and late penalties:
– Each lecturer is different
– See course profile
• Seek some advice prior to submitting your assignment.
• Overlap short courses and 12 week courses.
• You must be here 13-30 June 2014
• Exam schedule in about week 10 of session, on your MyUNSW site.
– Do not book plane tickets until after you know your final exam timetable.
• Get there 15 minutes before starting time.
• Supplementary exams for postgrad courses
– Only offered if special consideration is applied for and approved.
• Only approved calculators are allowed
• Normal full time load: 24 UoC per session
• Part time: flexible, at least 6 UoC
– Only allowed for local students
– If cannot attend in a semester, apply for study leave
• Forms on “my UNSW”
• International students:
– “complete in minimum time” with full study load:
• 24 UoC per session….
– Cannot take more than 1 distance course per semester
– If fail one course, can get a summer course
• May need extension of visa
• You are expected to complete program requirements with very few failures https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/academicstandingrulespg.html
Consequence Total UoC failed
Must consult your Academic
Advisor; discuss your progress, plan for improving results, and seek approval for enrolment
Exclusion Exclusion for two academic years, must re-apply for re-admission.
• Online study skill tutorial
– Understand UNSW study requirements
– Find the best information for your needs
– Evaluate information and resources
– Learn about UNSW Library resources and services