Biogenesis of fossil fuels with emphasis on the role of microorganisms.
prospecting and secondary Microbial corrosion of pipes and equipment.
Effects of oil spill on microbial activities in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.(Niger Delta region: Case study) Biodeterioration and biotransformation of hydrocarbons.
• • • • • Chemistry of Petroleum Hydrocarbons in crude oil Non hydrocarbons Crude oil fractions Classification of crude oil
• • • • • • • • Belief in spontaneous generation Macroscopic spontaneous generation Microscopic generation Pasteur’s Experimental equipment Common Misconception Microbes that eat petroleum Fossil Fuels Roles of microorganisms in the Biogenesis of fossil fuel
• • • • • • • • PETROLEUM PROSPECTING AND SECONDARY OR ENHANCED OIL RECOVERY Exploration methods Elements of a petroleum prospect Exploration risk Terms used in petroleum evaluation Licensing Reserves and resources a. Definition of oil reserves b. Reserve booking
• • • • • • Corrosion of metals Microorganism causing corrosion Mechanism of Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion (MIC) Types of corrosion Recognition of corrosion Protection possibilities
Effects of oil spill on microbial activities in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems.(Niger Delta region: Case study)
• • • • • • Definition of oil pollution Impacts of oil pollution in the Niger Delta Bioremediation : A suitable option Microbes that metabolize petroleum hydrocarbons Requirements for biodegradation of petroleum Approaches and techniques in Bioremediation
46 • • • • •
Without microbes there would not be the oil industry Without microbes the mess be adequately handled of the oil industry can not Without the preserved microbes the environment will not be All As partners let ’ s microbiologists are partners with the microbes , either in the oil industry or elsewhere join hands to preserve this dear environment which is a borrowed asset for the generations to come.