S martphones in P hysics and
E ngineering E ducation
Dr. Shakur “Doc”
And the $1 Billion Winner is …
S mart … Very S mart!
• Compelling piece of technology
• Microprocessor and Operating System
• Haptic System (Touchscreen)
• Array of sensors included
• Three-axis accelerometer
• Gaussmeter (Magnetometer)
• TRRS Headphone input / output
Monkey See … Monkey Do!
Antisymmetric Tracks … and the winner is?
Symmetry-breaking in Classical Physics
• Measure gravity by “slowing it down”
• Measured by hanging two slightly different masses and reading the acceleration
• Smartphone is placed in a plastic bag
• App measures the acceleration
• Data compared to theory
• 99% accurate
• Today is your lucky day!
• Everybody in the audience gets it FREE!
Centripetal Acceleration Lab
• The phone is placed on a turntable and the app is run
• a = mv 2 /r
20 th Century 21 st Century
Frequency and Oscilloscope
Android Bluetooth Remote for Lego Mindstorm NXT
T HE B ook!
MIT App Inventor
• App Inventor is Free
• Simple pre-coded blocks make it relatively easy to use
• Smartphones have become indispensable
• Ideas for future laboratories
– Oscilloscope and Signalscope App
– Gaussmeter for magnetic fields
– Gyroscope for angular speed
• Smartphones can reduce lab budget significantly
• Students are excited about using smartphones
Android Emulator on the PC
T hat’s All Folks …