Andrea B. Prigot Eastern Legal Systems, LLC © 2013 All Rights Reserved
• Document Management refers to an organized structure for saving and finding documents. • Properly implemented, document management saves time: – Documents do not get lost or put in “My Documents” – Everyone has a consistent way to save and find documents.
– Documents can be found by type, date, and author.
– Documents can be mined for use with new matters.
• Documents linked to Matters. Documents get saved to folders and are also linked to Time Matters matters. You can maintain a list of multiple versions of the same document.
• Full-text searching. Documents on server – saved to TM or not – can be searched through Time Matters based on their content.
• When Time Matters is installed, TM Save buttons appear in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe. Saving emails prompts saving attachments.
• Full-text searching is set in Program Level Setup, Forms, and in Utilities, Doc. Indexes.
• Firm-wide rules for naming and saving documents are set up in Program Level Setup, Forms, Document.
Power of TM’s Document List View
• Common ways to organize documents: – Practice Area, Matter, Document Type – Client, Matter, Category, Document Type – Client, Matter, Document Type • Common ways to name documents: – Document name – Document name and date – Document name with author and date
Turn on AutoNaming in Time Matters
A Basic AutoNaming Scheme – Client/Matter In AutoName Options, set rules for where documents will be saved and how they will be named.
AutoNaming Scheme using Doc Folder and SubFolder For example, this scheme could save letters to M:\ClientDocs\Jones,D. 2012 litigation\Correspondence.
Set a field for Doc Folder in the Matter form File>Setup>Templates\Form Styles\Matter Open the Default Style and Right-Click on Custom 8 Set screen label and field name to DocFolder. Make field required. Click ok to save.
Document Form customized for Doc Folder/SubFolder File>Setup>Templates\Form Styles\Document Open the Default Style and Right-Click on Custom 1
Set Custom 2 as the SubFolder, with a list of entry choices.
Finally, link the DocFolder (Custom 8) you specified in the Matter record to the DocFolder in the Document record form style.
This matches the DocFolder field in the Matter record to the DocFolder field in Custom 1 of the Document record.
Purpose: Define what documents on server will be text searchable. File>Utilities>Document Management>Document Index Manager Configure the index. You can have several indexes if needed, for example, based on practice area or other logical division; e.g. LIT, RE, FAM. Click “Index Now” to build the index. Click “Schedule” to update the index nightly – this is often done at the server.
Searching Documents by Full-Text in Time Matters
Search>Document Search. Fill in “Containing Text”, select one or more Indexes, and click Search.
The documents show in the Viewer window with the matching word(s) highlighted:
The number of times that the matching word(s) appear in the document is shown in the “Hits” column.
Automatic TM Save option in Word, Excel, Powerpoint. When enabled, the TM Document form and prompts will come up when you click Save.
Save email as .msg file. However, the .msg file is placed in the TM Default Files folder and does not obey the AutoNaming rules.