1. What are the 2 main types of evidence that geologists use to learn about Earth’s Interior?
Direct Evidence from Rock Samples Indirect evidence from seismic waves
• Pressure results from a force pressing on an area.
3. What causes the Earth’s magnetic field?
• Scientists think that the movements in the liquid outer core create Earth’s magnetic field.
4. Directions: Label the layers of Earth by writing the name of the layer in the blank.
Directions: If the statement is true, write true. If the statement is false, change the sentence to make it true.
• • • • • • 5. The deeper down inside Earth, the greater the pressure.
True 6. The temperature inside Earth decreases as depth increases.
False. The temperature increases with depth.
7. The crust is the thinnest under mountains.
False. The crust is the thickest under mountains.
Directions: Pick the type of rock that is being described.
8. Oceanic crust is typically 8. Basalt or Granite
9. Grain size is coarse 10. Light in color 11. Grain size is fine 12. Dark in color 13. Continental crust is typically 9. Basalt or Granite 10. Basalt or Granite 11. Basalt or Granite 12. Basalt or Granite 13. Basalt or Granite
Directions: Pick if each describes the crust, mantle, the outer core, or the inner core.
14. A dense ball of solid iron and nickel
15. A layer of hot, solid rock below the crust 16. Earth’s outer skin of rock
17. The layer made up of molten iron and nickel 18. Solid metal, dense ball 17.
19. Molten metal, liquid layer 19.
20. Includes both dry land and the ocean floor 21. The lithosphere, asthenosphere, and mesophere are part of this layer 20.
Directions: Pick if each describes the lithosphere, asthenosphere, or mesosphere
22. Beneath the asthenosphere, it is is hot, but more rigid 22.
23. Uppermost part of the mantle that includes the crust 24. Can bend like a metal spoon, the lithosphere floats on top of it 24.