Registering for your 12th Grade Classes at IHS

Updated: 2/2015
Registration form is due to your English teacher
February 23rd!
Students will be meeting with their counselor individually to have their course requests entered,
and will have the opportunity to ask questions at that time.
• Step 1: Chose your classes
• If you are applying to a family, you have to complete an
application (new applicants only). Go to under the
programs tab.
• Family Coordinators:
SHAPE: Ms. Kammerer: [email protected]
ITA: Mr. Albizo: [email protected]
CCA: Ms. Friend: [email protected]
NMAA: Ms. Burton [email protected]
• Select an English and Government/Economics option.
All 12th graders must take these two classes. Student MUST have
their current teacher sign their registration form if they are
registering for ANY AP class.
• Select a math and science course (not required for graduation.
Skip if you have completed the graduation requirement and
are choosing to not take a math or science in 12th grade).
• Choose your electives. English and Government are the only
required classes for 12th graders (unless you are missing credits
in a subject area). Math, Science and Language are all
considered electives in 12th grade.
Choose your electives thoughtfully based on meeting graduation
requirements and college admission requirements.
List classes in order of preference and make sure to list an alternate
elective. If you do not add an alternate elective and the class you want
is full, an elective will be chosen for you.
Make sure to have teachers sign for EVERY course that requires a
teacher’s signature or the course request will not be honored. Courses
that need a signature say “Teacher Rec” next to them on the Course
Options Form.
• For AP Psychology: The signature from your current US HISTORY
teacher is required.
Off-Campus ROP Classes
Mission Valley ROP provides relevant career technical education by preparing
students for employment and college through industry standard tools, training,
and experience.
Important Notes:
• Classes are 2 periods in length and are held at the ROP center
(They are 1st and 2nd period or 5th and 6th).
• Students that take a 1st/2nd period class have to provide their
own transportation to ROP. A bus brings students back to IHS.
• Course information/videos and requirements can be found at
• If a student drops an off-campus ROP class, they must add a
different off-campus ROP class.
• Many classes are “a-g” approved. See the
website for more information.
• NEWer classes:
• Digital Electronics/Computer Sci & Software Engineering
• Law Enforcement
• Architecture and Civil Engineering
• BioMedical Science
• Emergency Medical Responder
•Course Prerequisites: course prerequisites are stated on the
Course Options form. Many classes require students to have a teacher
recommendation AND a certain 1st semester grade in their current
class. Students must have both. Having a teacher recommendation
without the grade requirement is not enough to enroll in the class.
•Zero Period/7th Period class: If you would like to enroll in a
0 period or 7th period class, list it in the appropriate box.
AP Registration Form: Must be completed by EVERY
student planning to take ANY AP course.
AP Classes
EVERY STUDENT that is registering for ANY AP course must complete the
AP Registration Form and attach it to their registration packet. Extra copies
can be found online at under the “counselors” tab.
AP Classes
tell this is afor
and important decision. We have
Make sure
are prepared
and have
an Is
in the
of you
that receive
and Cs
in subject.
their AP/honors
• Make sure you will have the time necessary to be successful in all of your
classes, and try to drop the class. Drops cannot be accommodated.
Choose• your
classes you
will have QUEST, college applications, scholarship
searches, financial aid paperwork, clubs, extra-curricular activities,
job/volunteer work, etc.
If you do poorly in your 12th grade classes it can affect your college
• Understand that you will not have the opportunity to transfer to a college prep
course once the school year begins (even if you are failing the course or are
earning a “c” grade). The number of spaces in college prep classes are
based on student requests at the time of registration.
DO NOT take AP classes just because your friends/peers are. Everyone
has different ability levels. Take the most challenging classes that YOU
can still do well in.
DO NOT take AP classes just to impress colleges. GPA is still the most
important factor in college admissions. If you take 6 AP classes but do not
do well in them (“c” grades), it will not matter for college admissions that
you took them and will negatively impact your application.
You should have 140 credits at this time. If you are missing units, see your
in MARCH Reqs
for summer school
and MAZE day
for Adult
School Registration.
What are the main differences?
Health- 5 credits
PE- 20 credits
Algebra 1 + 20 more
credits of math
Algebra 1, Geometry, and
Algebra 2 (minimum)
Fine Art OR World Language or
Fine Art AND World Language
Social Science- 30 credits
Social Science- same
Science- 20 credits
Science- 20 credits (prefer Bio and Chem/Biotech)
(Digital Drawing, Arts Spectrum, Social Dance,
Culinary Arts, and Creative Writing are NOT fine art
Electives: 75 credits required. Any class
taken after a subject requirement is met is counted as an
elective (Ex: Your 3rd year of science counts as an
40 hours of community service
Where do Irvington Students go to College?
• 30% attend community colleges (Ohlone and DeAnza are most
popular with our students)
• 26% attend a University of California (UC Berkeley, UC Santa
Cruz, etc.)
• 17% attend a California State University (San Jose State, CSU
East Bay, etc.)
• 24% attend other 4 year universities including private California
colleges as well as private and public out of state colleges.
*7% of the class of 2014 are attending “Top 100 colleges”
as determined by U.S. News and World Report (Stanford,
New York University, etc.)
• 2% military/vocational schools
Know Irvington’s a-g list
Every class at Irvington that fulfills
an a-g subject requirement for
CSU and UC admission can be
found on this list.
New/Newer Classes:
• Robotics: Learn to build and program robots. No prior experience
needed. See Ms. Berbawy’s website for more info (a-g pending).
Prerequisite is Algebra 2 or higher concurrently.
• Guitar: a-g approved area “f”. No prior experience needed.
Beginners-advanced welcome. It is preferred that student can
provide their own guitar.
• Introduction to Engineering Design: a-g approved area “f”. No
experience required. Ms. Berbawy.
• Creative Writing: a-g approved area “g.”
• AP Physics 1: AP Physics B has been divided into two classes (1&2).
Only AP Physics 1 will be offered at IHS. AP Physics C will still be
• Business Math: math credit for graduation
• Discovering Geometry: Review of Algebra 1& intro to geometry.
Math credit for graduation.
• AP Music Theory: Need to have 3-4 years of experience reading
and playing music.
• Step Two: Proof of residency. Attach COPIES (you will not
get them back) of two forms of proof.
• Step Three: Parent and student signatures are required.
• Note that:
• Course requests cannot be guaranteed
• Students will not be able to drop classes
once the school year begins.
• Teacher recommendations can be revoked
based on 2nd semester performance.
• Your transcript MUST stay attached to this
Additional Notes
• On Campus ROP Courses are 1 period in length (check to see what classes are a-g approved).
• Discovering Geometry and Business Math are the only non-college
prep math classes offered at Irvington that students can take to earn
math credits towards graduation only.
• Sports/Physical Therapy is a science class that students can take to
earn science credits towards graduation only.
• Marching Band is Fall semester only (5 credits of PE).
• Kinesiology (Ohlone) awards PE credits (5) for Fall semester and
elective credits (5) for Spring semester.
• Counselors are available to STUDENTS during lunch and after school
during the registration weeks. They are not in their offices (in classes
doing registration) during class periods.
Visit the Counselor’s Corner and the College and Career Center
online for answers to many frequently asked questions…
Related flashcards
Create Flashcards