• Language used imaginatively rather than literally • Contains one or more figures of speech: simile, metaphor, personification, paradox
Imagery -A word or phrase that appeals to one of the five senses
• Look around leaves are brown and the sky is a hazy shade of winter.. Look around grass is high, fields are ripe - Simon and Garfunkel • I’ve got cute face, chubby waist, thick legs in shape, rump shakin’ both ways,make you do a double-take – Missy Elliot • Hustlers shootin 8 ball, throwing darts at the wall, feeling damn near 10 feet tall – Trace Adkins
Simile-Comparison between 2 unlike things using “like” or “as”
: • I keep her running back and forth like a soccer team – Lil’ Wayne • Did you stand too close to the fire; Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone? – Green Day • You’re on my heart just like a tattoo – Jordin Sparks • I hear my conscience call, Saying me I need a girl who’s as sweet as a dove- LL Cool J
• Implied comparison between 2 unlike things; does not use “like” or “as” • Extended metaphor- comparison extends throughout poem or multiple lines
• Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate; Just a puppet on a lonely string – Coldplay • Moving on the floor now babe you’re a bird of paradise – Duran Duran • Life is a highway, I wanna drive it all night long- Rascall Flatts • I’m a cowboy on the steel horse I ride, I’m wanted dead or alive – Bon Jovi
: • Your momma’s so big that when she wears yellow people put on their sunglasses • I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be the man who 1000 miles to fall down at your door! – • That’ll be the day when you say… That’ll be the day when I die – Buddy Holly
Personification- Giving human characteristics to something that is not human
: • The flowers danced gently in the wind.
• Pulverize the Eiffel Towers, who criticize your government – Green Day • The sun’s on my side, take me for a ride – Natasha Bedingfield • The wind cries Mary – Jimi Hendrix • So bright the sun is ashamed to rise and be in love with all these vampires – My Chemical Romance
Paradox- A statement, an idea, or a situation that seems contradictory but actually expresses a truth
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
I hate how much I love you boy; I can’t stand how much I need you boy, but I just can’t let you go, And I hate that I love you so! Rihanna