Section 6 Planning

advertisement
U.S. Technical Advisory Group Meeting
Recap of the October London PC 283 Meeting
November 15, 2013
1
Agenda
I.
Opening Remarks Vic Toy
II.
London Meeting Review
a. Overall review of process (Document N73) (Kathy Seabrook)
i. Key points (Document N 67)
ii. Time lines (Document N 68)
iii. Resolutions (Document N70)
b. Review development of a working draft
i. Section 4 context of the organization, 5 Leadership/Participation, Support (Kathy Seabrook)
ii. Section 6 Planning 6 (VicToy)
iii. Section 8 Operation (Todd Hohn)
iv. Section 9 performance evaluation and 10 Improvement (Thea Dunmire)
v. Terms and Definitions (Thea Dunmire)
III. Next Steps (Vic)
a. Mirror TAG working groups
b. Remote meetings on development of working draft
c. Face to face meeting January 14-17th.
IV. Administrative items
a. TAG organization / working groups (Vic Toy)
b. Committee Updates (Kathy Seabrook, Jim Howe)
c. OHSAS Ballot (Vic Toy, Tim Fisher)
d. ISO Management System Education Module (Vic Toy)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 2
Meeting Objectives
Overall Objective: The purpose of this meeting is to give the U.S.
TAG Attendees a recap of the London Meeting and to start planning
for review and action on the proposed standard.
1. Review and impressions from the October PC 283 Meeting
2. Enhanced understanding of the process
3. Strategies and plans for moving the work and organization of the
TAG Forward
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 3
Principle goals for your delegation



Establish and nurture key relationships
Provide positive participation with impactful (U.S. position) input
Develop cadence and improve rhythm with the U.S. delegation
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 4
London Meeting Review
ISO 45001 OHSMS –
Requirements
Presented by
Kathy A. Seabrook
5
ISO PC 283 /45001

Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 6
ISO PC 283 – Meeting Participants




83 delegates (Experts)
27 Member bodies
5 Liaison members
Some participated by
webinar
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 7
Goals - Inaugural Meeting

To review the comments:



Revised “proof of concept” draft and to Begin to
produce a first Working Draft (WD1) of ISO 45001.
Design Specification to develop the final document.
(Live Document)
Address agenda items for the Project Committee
(PC) Open Forum.
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 8
Goals - US Delegation


Establish Key Relationships – Secretariat, Country
allies & alliances
Advocate for US positions based upon Z10 and US
Comments in (most comments were accepted):



Proof of Concept Document
Design Specification
Open Forum (as applicable)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 9
Key points - Takeaways


Developed good relationships with the Secretariat, Chair
- Working Draft 1 (WD1), various key countries
US Comments on PoC and Design Specification were
accepted for the most part
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 10
Key points - Takeaways
Open Forum Key issues for resolution by
the PC:



The application of “risk”; “people” under the control of the
management system;
the understanding of what constitutes the “workplace”;
‘participation’ in the setting of policies and objectives.
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 11
Key points - Takeaways


Standard to include an Annex with guidance (ISO/TMB
must approve – (PC not TC so approved for
Requirements only)
WD1 will be completed
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 12
Terms




Working Draft (WD) – First draft developed by the Project
Committee and experts (US will have TAG input)
Committee Draft (CD) –First public draft for circulation to
public for comments
Draft International Standard (DIS)
Final Draft International Standard (FDIS)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 13
Timeline – 3 Years (N68)




Dec 2013 –Working Draft 1 (WD1) circulated
Working Group 1 (WG1)
Jan 2014 – Submit Comments on WD1
Jan 2014 – US TAG Face to Face Meeting (to
develop US positions/concerns on WD1)
March 2014 – PC Meeting – Development of
Committee Draft 1 (CD1)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 14
Timeline – 3 Years (N68)



November 2014 – PC Meeting – Development of
Draft International Standard (DIS)
November 2015 –PC Meeting – Development of
Final Draft International Standard (FDIS)
October 2016 – Publish ISO 45001
- 3 Year Process -
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 15
London Review Process
5 Task Groups





TG1: Section 4 the organization, 5 Leadership/Participation,
7 Support
TG2: Section 6 Planning
TG3: Section 8 Operation
TG4: Section 9 Performance Evaluation and 10
Improvement
TG5: Terms & Definitions (Formed at the end of meeting)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 16
Key Resolutions (N70):
Resolution 1/2013 - Following consideration of its Scope, and agreement
to develop guidelines as an annex to ISO 45001 Occupational Health and
Safety Management Systems – Requirements (in a similar manner to ISO
14001, Annex A)

ISO/PC 283 resolves:



To request the ISO/TMB to extend the scope of the PC to cover the development of
such guidelines
To request the ISO/TMB to change the title of the PC to reflect such a change in scope
(either to “Occupational health and safety management systems – Requirements with
guidance for use” or to be brief to just “Occupational health and safety management
systems”)
To change the title of WG1 to “Occupational health and safety management systems
– Requirements with guidance for use”
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 17
Key Resolutions (N70):
Resolution 2/2013 - Following consideration of the various
timeframe options


ISO/PC 283 resolves to:
Follow the 3 year “default” timeframe for the development of
ISO 45001
Resolution 3/2013 - Following a review of the comments
received on the draft “Design Specification” (document
N21), and its amendment,


ISO/PC 283 resolves to:
Adopt the “Design Specification” for the development of ISO
45001 given in document N69
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 18
Key Resolutions (N70):
Resolution 5/2013 - Following consideration of the resources
needed to complete its task, ISO/PC 283 resolves to:
-
Impose a limit of 3 Experts per member on ISO/PC
283/WG1
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 19
Thank you!
Any Questions?
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 20
Task Group (TG 1)
Section 4: The Organization
Section 5: Leadership/Participation
Section 7: Support
Presented by
Kathy A. Seabrook
21
In General




Reviewed and resolved 32 comments from the POC
Country comments
Identified areas for further work and provided wording
where there was agreement amongst the TG.
Identified need for further defining: workplace, worker,
participation, consultation, interested parties, internal
and external Issues and organization. TG5 (Terms &
Definitions task group)
Guidance on ‘participation’ definition taking information
from Z10, ILO.
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 22
In General
Guidance on Competence included
 Raised concern on how Scope is determined, tied to
yet to be defined terms and concepts of workplace,
worker, and control of activities.
 Scope should be defined at least the boundary of the
workplace.

Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 23
5. Leadership


Policy to include commitment by Top Mgmt for
worker/employee participation
5.3 Guidance - Assuring the organizations
performance review, compensation, reward and
recognition systems are aligned with the OH&S policy
and OH&S management system performance
objectives
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 24
7. Support
7.4.2 C –obstacles and barriers to participation –
Z10 Language in requirements and guidance (ILO
agreed)

Guidance on competency to include re-training
and recertification as well as meeting regulatory
compliance.

Guidance: relevant means making sure each
person in the organization has what they need to be
effective in carrying out their obligations in the
management system.

Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 25
TG1 Participants:
•
•
•
•
•
•
Peck Thian Guan, TG Leader,
Singapore
Kathy Seabrook, Scribe, US
Barbara Libowitzky, Austria
Yusuke Chiba, Japan
Catherine Brakenhielm, ILO
Trevor Dodd, UK
•
•
•
•
•
•
Sigrid Hansen-Tangen, Norway
Emily Sims, ILO
Eckard Metze, Germany
Ian Wrightson, UK
Peter Kwan Ming Cheng, Hong Kong
Julio Diaz Gerardi, Argentina
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 26
Thank you!

Any questions?
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 27
Task Group (TG 2)
Section 6: Planning
Presented by
Vic Toy
28
Section 6: General Remarks from TG2








Discussion of the type of definition we prefer for “risk”
Brief review of 11 comments on Section 6, and 3 comments on
Risk
Clause by Clause review and adjustment of Section 6
Final review and “sentencing” of comments
Final review and adjustment of Section 6
Definition of Risk (Annex Sl or 18001/Z10)
OHS risk and organisational risk
Meaning of Opportunity
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 29
Task Group 2 Planning












Frans Geijlvoet (Netherlands)
Gilbert Ljungberger (Sweden)
Leonardo Omodeo-Zorini (IIOC)
Antonio Terracina(Italy)
Miriam Shalom (Israel)
Uwe Marx (Germany)
Maria McKeown (Ireland)
Aykut Kirbas (Turkey)
Vic Toy (U.S.)
Stan Rogers (TC 207)
Christele Hubert (France)
Norma McCormick (Canada)













Eckehard Bauer (Austria)
Hilde Vatslid (Norway)
Seiji Machida (ILO)
Abdeljalil El Kholti (Morocco)
Mohd Rafee Baharudin (Malaysia)
Roque Portillo (Argentina)
Luisa Pellares (Columbia)
Yoshito Hirambayashi (Japan)
Janet Asherson (IOE)
Chen Quan (China)
Wang Shunqi (China)
Martin Cottam (UK)
Sally Swingwood (BSI)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 30
Section 6 Planning
6. Planning
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities
6.1.1 Hazard identification
6.1.2 Determination of compliance
obligations
6.1.3 Determining and assessing risks
and opportunities
6.1.4 Planning to take action
New subsections
(additions to Annex SL
Language) to address
content clarity and
organizational issues.
6.2 OH&S objectives and planning to achieve
them
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 31
Section 6 Planning
6. Planning
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities
6.1.1 Hazard identification
6.1.2 Determination of compliance
obligations
6.1.3 Determining and assessing risks
and opportunities
6.1.4 Planning to take action
6.2 OH&S objectives and planning to achieve
them
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Subdivided into activities
to be considered and
potential impacts
Guidance considerations
• “normal & abnormal activities
• Change mgmt/Life cycle
impact
• Impact from “other factors”
Slide 32
Section 6 Planning
6. Planning
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities
6.1.1 Hazard identification
6.1.2 Determination of compliance
obligations
6.1.3 Determining and assessing risks
and opportunities
6.1.4 Planning to take action
Terminology: “legal and
other requirements to
which the organization
subscribes”
Guidance considerations:
• collective agreements, good
practice etc.
6.2 OH&S objectives and planning to achieve
them
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 33
Section 6 Planning
6. Planning
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities
6.1.1 Hazard identification
6.1.2 Determination of compliance
obligations
6.1.3 Determining and assessing risks
and opportunities
6.1.4 Planning to take action
6.2 OH&S objectives and planning to achieve
them
Clarity around
“opportunities” a.k.a.
“positive risks”
Consideration of OH&S
risk and “organizational”
risks
Risk assessment process
mentioned but
methodologies missing *
Guidance considerations
• On-going assessments vs.
continual improvements
• Who can conduct
assessments
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 34
Section 6 Planning
6. Planning
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities
6.1.1 Hazard identification
6.1.2 Determination of compliance
obligations
6.1.3 Determining and assessing risks
and opportunities
6.1.4 Planning to take action
Mostly Annex SL
language with some OHS
descriptors added
6.2 OH&S objectives and planning to achieve
them
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 35
Section 6 Planning
6. Planning
6.1 Actions to address risks and opportunities
6.1.1 Hazard identification
6.1.2 Determination of compliance
obligations
6.1.3 Determining and assessing risks
and opportunities
6.1.4 Planning to take action
6.2 OH&S objectives and planning to achieve
them
Mostly Annex SL
language
Other key thoughts:
Consideration of
interested parties, initial
reviews
Guidance considerations
• Proactive & reactive indicators
• Integration into business processes
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 36
Thank you!

Any questions?
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 37
Report of Task Group 3
SECTION 8 – Operation
Presented by
Todd Hohn
38
What we did
•
Discussion of the Annex SL Text and other source/guidance
documents (ILO-OSH 2001, Z10, ISO 9001, 14001, 55001)
•
Review and disposition of 11 comments on clauses for Section 8
•
Clause-by-clause review and discussion of requirements
•
Discussion of items to include in “Annex A” - Guidance
•
Final review of work product
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 39
What we did

Restructured Clause 8 as follows
•
•
•
•
8.1 Operational planning and control
8.2 Management of change
8.3 Outsourcing
8.4 Emergency preparedness and response
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 40
Main points of discussion – 8.1.1
Operational Planning and Control
•
Discussed definition and consistent use of workplace, worker,
employee, personnel, contractors and contractors employees and
outsourcing (TG5 – Terms and Conditions)
•
Discussed guidance in the Annex in relation to providing
examples “workplaces” and what constitutes a “workplace” (Z10)
•
Discussed communication and information to suppliers and
contractors/contractor employees as being adequately addressed
in 7.4.1 (Communications)
•
Inconsistent with the use of process and activities
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 41
Main points of discussion – 8.1.2
Hierarchy of Controls
•
A lot of discussion on local laws and regulations that
legislate hierarchy of controls
•
Guidance in the Annex is needed to provide examples,
(example Z10)
•
Group accepted wording in Z10 for the hierarchy of
controls
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 42
Main points of discussion – 8.2
Management of Change
•
Originally discussed in one sentence – group
expanded to a separate Clause
•
Incorporated OH&S and included wording for planned,
permanent or temporary
•
Referenced Clause 6 for management of risks
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 43
Main points of discussion – 8.3
Outsourcing
•
Discussed “Outsourcing” and what it is and what it is
not – definition for outsourcing will be important to this
clause
•
207 Comment – Risk and Control of Influence
•
Created sub – clauses for General, Procurement and
Control of Sub – Contractors
•
Definitions and guidance were discussed for
contractors and communications (Z10, 5.1.4 and 5.1.5,
OHSAS 18002, ILO 3.10.5)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 44
Main points of discussion -8.4
Emergency Preparedness and Response
•
Discussed “potential” versus “anticipating”
emergencies, “testing” and taking into account “needs”
and “involvement” of interested parties
•
Discussed guidance in the Annex on mitigation and
prevention, training and information
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 45
Members of the Task Group 3
Elizabeth O`Ferrall, (Ireland) (TG 3 Chair)
Hendri Farabi, (Germany) (Scribe)
Berit Sørset, (Norway)
Todd Hohn, (US)
Tsuyoshi Kawakami, (ILO)
Guillermo Zucal, (Argentina)
Thierry Lannuzel, (France)
Andrew Foster, (UK)
Hussein Rahmat, (Malaysia)
Damir Zorcec, (Indonesia)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 46
Report of Task Group 4
SECTION 9 – Performance Evaluation
SECTION 10 – Improvement
Presented by
Thea Dunmire
47
What we did
•
Discussion of the Annex SL Text and other source/guidance
documents (CEN 17, ISO 14001)
•
Review and disposition of 16 comments on clauses 9 & 10
•
Clause-by-clause review and discussion of requirements
•
Discussion of items to include in “Annex A” - Guidance
•
Final review of work product
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 48
Main points of discussion – 9.1.1
Monitoring, measurement, analysis & evaluation
•
Discussed definition of measurement and monitoring and the
types of activities that are included in measurement, monitoring,
analysis and evaluation (e.g. inspection)
•
Discussed the requirements and suggested that clarification and
guidance is needed – particularly for SMEs
•
Need to expand in the guidance what is needed to ensure “valid
results” (e.g. calibration)
•
Discussed and added in language to address comment related to
compliance monitoring (made by Stan in initial plenary)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 49
Main points of discussion – 9.1.2
Evaluation of Compliance
•
Discussed definition of “applicable requirements (“legal and/or
other requirements to which the organization subscribes”) but did
not resolve what term to use – agreed that the intent of
requirements is to evaluate compliance status of the
“requirements” identified as applicable by the organization to
which compliance was committed to in the OH&S Policy
•
Discussed process for evaluation of compliance – decided to use
ISO 14001 language since many organizations have integrated
compliance assessment functions
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 50
Main points of discussion – 9.2
Internal Audit
•
Discussed definition of internal audit and the requirements for an
audit program; discussed the use of ISO 19011
•
Suggested that competence of internal auditors and those
conducting incident investigations – as well as other with OHSMS
responsibilities – should be covered generally in 7.2 and
expanded upon in guidance; again reference can be made to ISO
19011
•
Added in subclauses to address ISO formatting issue
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 51
Main points of discussion – 9.3
Management Review
•
Discussed what items of information are important for review by
Top Management and how they should be ordered in clause 9.3
•
Discussed meaning of the word “trends” in identifying what Top
Management should consider in management review and added
status since that may be as important as trends
•
Avoided adding in new requirements because this section is
already very perscriptive
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 52
Main points of discussion -10.1
Incident Investigation, nonconformity & corrective action
•
Discussed whether incident investigation and corrective action
should be two different clauses and perhaps in different sections
(e.g. in section 9) and concluded they should be in the same
clause but it must be clear that organizations can have more than
one process to address them
•
Added suggestions for guidance – including the tie between
corrective action and both risk assessment and management of
change to ensure actions do not create risk
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 53
Main points of discussion- 10.2
Continual Improvement
•
Stayed with Annex SL text – to give organization flexibility
•
Added suggestions for guidance – including the definitions of
suitability, adequacy and effectiveness and examples for the
organization to consider for continual improvement
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 54
Members of the Task Group 4
Thea Dunmire, U.S. chair
Simone Cencetti, Italy
Teresa Hawkins, UK
Amin Prey, Germany
Christopher Ward, UK
Jerry Ramdunee, South Africa
Brenda Henry, Canada
Syamsul Zahrin Zainudin, Malaysia
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 55
Next Steps
Presented by
Vic Toy
56
III. Next Steps
a. Mirror TAG working groups
- leverage the strength of our numbers, expertise and diversity
- Sign up process
b. Remote meetings on development of working draft
- Begin work on developing U.S. Positions *
c. Face to face meeting January 14-17th.
- Review language and comment on WD1
- Logistics to be determined
* PC283 Experts will continue to work on language of WD1 through January
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 57
IV. Administrative items
a. TAG organization / working groups (Vic)
b. Committee Updates (Kathy, Jim)
c. OHSAS Ballot (Vic)
d. ISO Management System Education Module (Vic/Thea)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 58
US TAG to PC 283 Organizational Structure
Executive Committee
Vic Toy, Chair
Kathy Seabrook, Vice Chair
Secretariat
Tim Fisher
Procedures
(Adhoc) Kathy
Sebrook
Membership
Jim Howe
WG1
TBD
WG2
TBD
PC 283 Delegates/Experts
Vic Toy
Kathy Seabrook
Thea Dunmire
Todd Hohn (obsever)
WG3
TBD
Presentation Title
Date or Event
WG4
TBD
Terms & Def
TBD
Slide 59
PC 283 Membership Work Group
*Committee members and alternates only.
First meeting next Thursday, November 21 at 3 PM EST
The membership committee will review and make
recommendations in the following areas:
1. Existing roster for categories, interest groups and balance
2.Future membership applications
3.Observers that desire to become members
4.Employment sectors not represented
5.Procedures for replacing members for non participation
6.Maximum committee size
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 60
IV. Administrative items
a. TAG organization / working groups (Vic)
b. Committee Updates (Kathy, Jim)
c. OHSAS Ballot (Vic)
d. ISO Management System Education Module (Vic/Thea)
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 61
Thank you!

Any questions?
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 62
International Organizational Relationships
Presentation Title
Date or Event
Slide 63
Download
Related flashcards

Business

28 cards

Business terms

50 cards

Business

36 cards

Free business software

44 cards

American producers

28 cards

Create Flashcards