Annette McCone Widening Access and Retention
• provide an overview of the academic year • explore how you might be feeling •
banish myths and misconceptions
• provide first hand experience of life at Birkbeck
Meeting new people Learning something new Meeting new people Learning something new Coping with the demands of the course Rising to the challenge of the course Finding time to study Not completing/defer/take a break Enjoying time spent studying Graduating
(3 rd October – 16 th December) •
(9 th January – 23 rd March) •
(23 rd April until 6 th July)
• 12 weeks • 1 st week induction; student handbook; getting to know staff and fellow students • Teaching – lectures, seminars, labs • Reading week half way through – catch up or get ahead • Stay Ahead Programme – November • Preparing for assessment – December • Meeting first deadline – December/January
Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
am 8-12 pm 12 - 6 Eve 6-9 Night 9 - 12 Gym/ Work Work BBK TV Work Work BBK Library Gym/ Work Work Work HW and errands HW and errands Work BBK key reading Work Work Study Family/ Friends/ Fun TV gym key reading Family/ Friends/ Fun Family/ Friends/ Fun Study Family/ Friends/ Fun TV
• 12 weeks • “January Blues” • Using feedback from term one assessments to “feed forward” • Revisit and review work from Autumn term • Reading Week – catch up or get ahead • Preparing for exams – identify a study buddy
• Consolidating knowledge from previous terms • Exam revision – consider taking block of annual leave?
• Exams – always during the working day • Preparing for next year • Update your CV • Enjoy the break!
• There is 24 hour access to the building – study rooms are always available – Room 536 • There are showers available – ask reception for the key • There is a cash machine and prayer room at the School of Oriental and African Studies • ULU has the largest swimming pool in central London – gym is £26.00 direct debit but can pay daily £4.50
• Buy one get one free at the BBK bar on a Friday …