B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – HISTORY
THIRD SEMESTER – November 2008
EL 3102/EL 3100 - INDIAN NATIONALIST LITERATURE
Date : 11-11-08
Time : 9:00 - 12:00
Max. : 100 Marks
Annotate any SEVEN of the following in about 75 words each: (7x5= 35 marks)
I am suddenly feeling tired. And sleepy. For five years sleep has avoided me and now suddenly it's coming back.
I'm Amba, of Jonai village. He is the light of my eyes, my Suman, the breath of my life.
He had somehow got a hint of the truth that he is not of royal birth, but was picked up below the falls of Mukta Dhara.
I am inclined to pity myself and to congratulate them on having escaped my lot.
I was devoted to my parents, But no less was I devoted to the passions that flesh is heir to.
I had formed a habit of taking walks, which has still remained with me.
“What is life without unity?
Division only spells ruin.”
8. “Thy Future calls thee with a manifold sound
To crescent honours, splendours, victories vast;”
9. “Bound by one hope, one purpose, one devotion
Towards a great, divinely-destined goal.”
“This is home. And this the closest
I’ll ever be to home….”
Answer any FIVE of the following in about 150 words each:
11. Dhananjaya is a symbol of Ahimsa- Discuss.
( 5x5=25 marks)
Identify the problems Mohammed-Bin-Tuglaq had to face as portrayed in the play,
13. Identify the symbolic meanings of 'Uttarakut' and 'Shivdharai'.
14. Discuss the character of Abhijit.
15. ‘For the love of God, do not give India her independence on 15 th
Why did the astrologer make this statement?
16. Give a short account of the Indian women’s magazines as discussed by V.S.Naipaul in his
A Million Mutinies’
17. Give a short character sketch of Juggat Singh.
18. Explain briefly the courage shown by the queen Jeyasingh when she became the ruler of
III. Write an essay on any TWO of the following in about 350 words each: ( 2x20 = 40marks)
How does Jawaharlal Nehru want to bring about change and development in India?
Based on any one of your texts for study, analyse the place of History in Indian Nationalist
Elaborate on some of the important themes dealt with by Khushwant Singh in
by Gita Mehta explores the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of the British and the Indian
Explain in detail the ideologies of Agha Shabid Ali OR Bharatiyar as reflected in the poems.
Discuss the social and political relevance of the play,
in the Indian context.
24. Examine the strengths and weaknesses of the character of Tughlaq in Girish Karnad’s play.