River Valley Civilizations Test
Multiple Choice Question:
1. One reason for the development of an early civilization in the Tigris-Euphrates river valleys was that
2. Which characteristic did the early civilizations that developed along the Nile, the Tigris-
Euphrates and the Huang He (Yellow River) have in common?
3. The early civilizations of the Nile River Valley, Mesopotamia, and the Yellow River Valley were similar because they were
4. One way in which the civilizations of the Sumerians, the Egyptians, and the Chinese were similar is that each
5. “If a seignior (noble) has knocked out the tooth of a seignior of his own rank, they shall knock out his tooth. But if he has knocked out a commoner’s tooth, he shall pay one-third mina of silver.” -Code of Hammurabi
6. Which idea of Babylonian society does this portion of the Hammurabi code of law reflect?
We must return to the ideas of the Bible.
We should encourage people to read and interpret religious scripture for themselves.
Our people worship many gods, who control the peoples’ activities, such as birth, death, and commerce.
Our people received the Ten Commandments at Mount Sinai. We are few in number, but we will bring these commandments to all people.
We trace our religion’s birth to the flight of our greatest prophet from Mecca to Medina.
7. Which speaker is expressing an idea from a polytheistic religion?
8. Which speaker refers to the establishment of
Which of the following was NOT a common trait of early civilizations?
Where did the earliest civilizations tend to develop?
Based on the preponderance of archaeological evidence, which region of the world saw the development of the earliest civilizations?
Which of the following early river valley civilizations developed in the greatest state of isolation from the others?
Which choice best characterizes the relationship between early civilizations and writing?
Which of the following did ancient Egyptian, Shang and Sumerian civilizations all have in common?
Answer the following fill in the blank questions using the word boxes below. Words cannot be used more than once.
Mandate to Heaven
_________________ is the belief in one God.
_________________ were created for use as tombs of the Pharaohs.
What was the name of the Sumerian writing system?
Mesopotamia is also known as the __________________.
Egyptian writing system in which pictures were used to represent words and sounds.
Sumerian temples were called __________________.
The __________________ of Egypt was considered both a god and a king.
One of the earliest literature works in Sumerian history is known as
_______________________ invention that would allow for travel against the current if wind was present
Series of laws that was the first written law code in the world
Process in which the organs are removed from the body and wrapped for preservation
Stone that was used to decipher hieroglyphics
When rulers claim that their power is derived from God and heaven
Political system in which large tracts of land is given to nobles for being loyal to the king
The Tigris-Euphrates River Valley Civilization/The Fertile Crescent
Why is the area of the Tigris-Euphrates called the “Fertile Crescent?”
Why was the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers important to ancient Sumerians?
Explain the importance of the Nile River to ancient Egypt?
How was life along the Yellow River both similar and different from life along the Nile