Know the definition of the following terms/people, their significance in Sociology, related terms/people/theories and connect each to real-life situations or examples:
1. Social Stratification
2. Caste System
5. Structural Social
7. White-collar occupations
3. Class System
6. Blue-collar occupations
9. What point does the opening story about the Titanic make about social stratification?
10. What are the four basic principles of social stratification?
11. What are the three differences in social stratification? (Refer to #3 & #4 on page 255).
12. What is horizontal social mobility?
13. What three ways does the caste system determine people’s direction of life?
14. What is the result of the historical replacement of caste systems with class systems?
15. In what system is the degree of status consistency is greater?
16. Give an example of low status consistency.
17. What does the
“first estate” refer to?
18. What category did most people fall into in English history?
19. What type of system did Japan operated on for 2,000 years?
20. What is one underlying topic in modern Japan when sizing up someone’s social standing?
21. Explain the Davis-Moore thesis, in terms of jobs and associated rewards.
22. Explain how unequal rewards increases productivity, according to Davis and Moore.
23. Who coined the co ncept “survival of the fittest”?
24. What term did Marx use for the capitalist class?
25. What did Marx say the differences in wealth and power between the capitalists and proletarians would lead to?
26. What dimension of social inequality did Weber claim agrarian societies emphasized?
27. How did Weber feel about socialism?
28. Name a common micro-level pattern involving social interaction.
29. Connect the following statements with their connected approaches:
Social inequality benefits society. & Social inequality is harmful and divides society.
30. What type of society is closest to being egalitarian?
31. What type of society has the greatest social stratification?
32. What happens to economic inequality as the US develops a postindustrial economy?
33. What is the key to high social standing today, according to the “bell curve” thesis?