• Identify the values and ideas prized during the Renaissance
• Explain the impact of Humanism
• Analyze the importance of the printing press
• How did the Renaissance revolutionize European society?
From Dark Ages to
What was the Renaissance?
Rebirth – of art and learning
Where did it begin?
1300 – 1600 A.D.
Why Italy during this time period?
• Cosimo de’ Medici – lead banker of
• Classical heritage – Rome and Greek influences.
• Byzantine scholars fled to Italy bringing
Greek Manuscripts and influences
• Lack of Plague and war
Patrons of the Art
• Those who support the arts
• Included merchants, powerful families, and even the Church
• Why are patrons significant?
Classical and Worldly Values
• Humanist suggested that people can enjoy life without offending God
• What sorts of things do we consider enjoyable?
• Secular – worldly and concerned with the here and now.
• In what ways can this philosophy change society?
• What countries are considered Northern
• Recovering from Bubonic Plague and War
• Idea of Human dignity = social reform based on Christian values
New Artistic Styles
• Sculpting statues, painting important people, and three dimensional painting
• Perspective – three dimensional painting
• Humanistic art forms
• How can art impact politics, economics, and culture?
Who are the artist?
Leonardo da Vinci
• Painter, sculptor, inventor, and scientist
• “Renaissance Man”
• Studied the human body
School Of Athens
• Painter and Sculpture
• writing in native languages
• Wrote to express themselves or to portray the individuality of their subjects
• How can writing in local languages help change government?
• Wrote the Prince – examines the imperfect conduct of humans
• Examined how a ruler can gain power and keep it in spite of his enemies
• Ruler must be deceitful and strong in order to do what is good for the state
• Agree? Or Disagree?
• Product of vernacular?
Humanist that gave their ideas a Christian theme
Why combine Christianity with humanism?
• wrote Praise of Folly
• Believed that in order to improve society everyone should study the Bible
• wrote Utopia
• imaginary land inhabited by peacefulloving people.
• Greatest playwright of all time
• Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, A
Midsummer Night’s Dream
• Renaissance in England – named after
Queen Elizabeth I
• Patronized the arts
• Wrote poetry and very well-educated
• Is it important that our leaders follow the trends?
• Johann Gutenberg – Invented the printing press in 1440’s
• Printed Gutenberg Bible - first full size book printed with movable print
• People began to interpret the Bible themselves which led to criticism of the church
• What form of technology can we compare this to today?