By 2017, the RTI
Framework will reduce the number of students scoring below basic on the
Four: How do I create
a space for skills instruction to occur regularly for all students at different grade levels and with different needs?
One: How do you use
data? What are your sources of data? What data do you use when?
Three: How are
interventions different than what happens during regular instruction?
Two: How do you
ensure that RTI
2 is running with fidelity?
Next Steps Action Planning Toolkit
Agenda (p. 3-4)
Four Guided Question section tabs
Discussion Tool, SWOT, Guided Question Planning
Resources (p. 15)
Next Steps Action Planning documents tab
1. Leadership at the state, district, and building level is essential for ensuring the success of ALL students throughout the RTI
2. A culture of collaboration that is focused on student achievement, for both struggling and advancing students, should include educators, families and communities
2 is a process focused on prevention and early intervention that uses assessment data for instruction, intervention and transitions between tiers
1. Respect for diverse needs of district teams in whole group discussions.
2. Engage fully and avoid personal technology use.
3. Use planned agenda items fully and respect the air time of whole group to ensure agenda timeline is followed.
3. Transparent collaboration during district work time and whole group discussions.
4. Utilize work time effectively to clarify district needs and plan steps to move forward.
5. Parking Lot for unanswered questions and return answers sent through CORE office in one week.
Develop/revise an RTI
2 action plan with clear next steps that is tailored to district capacity and meets state requirements.
Rucker-Stewart Middle School student
1. We need five volunteers.
2. Then, turn to the discussion scenario on page 28 of your Action
3. Role Play
4. Discuss the questions provided.
5. Think about suggestions for this team on how to improve this planning meeting.
District level teams
• ensure the fidelity of the RTI
• work to organize professional development
• set and monitor timelines for implementation
• guide the implementation of RTI
School based teams
make data-based decisions
• evaluate effectiveness of instruction and intervention based on school level data review and discuss all student data and student attendance in interventions align interventions to specific area(s) of deficit for each student ensure that interventions are implemented with integrity
Fidelity of Intervention Delivery
comparative groups of student progress monitoring data, walk through observation checks, intervention lesson plans, and overarching student transition data
Note: walk through observation vs TEAM observation
determine if the intervention is being delivered effectively.
Fidelity of Student Placement
individual student progress monitoring data, analysis of rate of improvement, attendance in intervention, student behavior, student social and emotional needs
determine if student’s rate of improvement is showing adequate progress
Tier I Instruction
Tier II/III Intervention
Achievement of grade level curriculum
Growth towards skill mastery
Tier II think “targeted” fidelity
Student data as targeted group
Student data as individual
Walk through observations
Tier III think “intensive” fidelity
Student data as small group
Student data as individual
Consistent walk through observation data
1. Discussion Protocol
• analyze the existing data tools
• what are you using the data results for
• how the data drives decisions for different tiers of instruction
2. SWOT Protocol
• what are the strengths of using data
• where are your gaps
• how can you use your strengths to
• overcome your gaps what are threats to success
1. Count off at table and move to numbered group.
2. Share with mixed group.
3. Return to district group to share experiences from other districts.
4. Prepare post it for shared.
5. Move to the Post It note that matches your number and share with others.
(p. 36 and p. 144)
1. Resources Walk (p. 37)
3. A Focus on Key Messages and
General Rules of Practice
Director of Special Projects
Deputy Director of Instructional Leadership Support